Main Menu

Full sheet-metal replacement ..estimated cost ?

Started by Jocigar, September 01, 2021, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Hi all,

For those that have had this work done.

What would you estimate the higher end cost of 'labor only' would be, to have almost ALL sheet-metal removed
and then replaced with new sheet-metal and fitted on a car that has solid frame rails throughout.   

firewall, cowl, hinge panels, inner fenders, a-pillars, roof, trunk, quarters, dutchman, floors pans,
outer wheel wells and rockers to make a rolling shell.

Thank you !    :whiteflag:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jocigar

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Car-nutt

anlauto

There you go Joe, and I think Larry's AAR was worse than yours.. :alan2cents:

Jocigar

Thanks for the feedback guys,   

Was that AMD installation, they price with all the sheet-metal I think?   

76orangewagon

If you go the the AMD installation center website and pick every part you mention the next column will be the labor rate to install that specific part so you can see the labor only.

Jocigar

Thanks for the feedback all

@Car-nutt is there a thread on your AAR?

Filthy Filbert

That's interesting.  Did not realize AMD had a service center to install parts.  Seems like a quick n dirty estimate says I could get all the panels for my car AND install them for $11k.  But I already have most of the panels on hand that I need, which lowers that price even more. 

Anyone had AMD do any work?   Is their quality fair? 

76orangewagon

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on September 04, 2021, 09:11:18 AM
That's interesting.  Did not realize AMD had a service center to install parts.  Seems like a quick n dirty estimate says I could get all the panels for my car AND install them for $11k.  But I already have most of the panels on hand that I need, which lowers that price even more. 

Anyone had AMD do any work?   Is their quality fair?

I recently saw a B5 AAR that came back from there and the fit and finish of the panels was top quality work, I think the owner spent about $25K and it doesn't take several months or years to get it back, I think the car was back in 60 days.

anlauto

Filthy Filbert

Cool.  I'll see what comes of the official estimate maker I did earlier. 

I don't want them to do all the paint and final body work/assembly.

But if I can get all the rusty metal replaced and get back a clean body in epoxy coat in 60 days for $12k....  I would be very interested in that.  But if it came back at $25k for that...then I'll be continuing to do it myself. 

I don't want to deal with final paint until after I sort out the driveline, suspension, trim, etc. 

Filthy Filbert

Well, so far, I am slightly disappointed...   Hopefully there's just some miscommunication going on.

I've had lots of back and forth with the AMD installation center.   I provided a list of AMD panels that I already purchased and have sitting in the garage next to the car.   I provided a detailed list of work already done (Like Left hand quarter panel that's already been replaced).  I provided around 20-30 detailed photos of the car's current condition and gave a written description of everything.

I was told "great, thanks! I will review all of this and write up a detailed quote for you"

What I got was what appears to be a cut/paste of every part AMD makes; with a "General Fabrication & Repair Cost : TBD" for "anything we find after blasting and during disassembly"

The quote even included re-replacing the already replaced quarter panel, and apparently they're going to install BOTH the spare tire hold downs for me.   You know, the one for convertibles AND the one for hardtops.   And, they're going to re-sell me the same panels I already purchased. 

It simply does not feel like a 'detailed quote based on our discussions and info provided'

I sincerely hope there's a mix-up or confusion, because I am comfortable with replacing the panels it needs for $10-12; but there aint no way my wife will let me haul the car down there and end up with a $24K bill.

BenDodge

Following, got my quote from the estimate and was going to send the 250.00 deposit to hold my spot for October.