Main Menu

Metal replacement..... Looking for advice

Started by xx88man, June 13, 2018, 07:33:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I am a complete rookie. I have NEVER done metal replacement so I need advice. Some areas my car needs help is around the front windshield and the panels in front of where the doors mount on. I am including a couple pictures. What are these panels called and are there replacements out there or do I need to fabricate them? My biggest question....do I need to have the body sitting on a frame table in order to replace these? Any help from people that have done it would be great. Thanks

Keep yer foot in it

jimynick

They're usually referred to as hinge pillars and yes, they are re-popped. They are 2 piece and the trick comes in as they are sandwiched in with the A pillar and upper cowl. I changed both mine- inr and otr, but had the firewall out and the fndr inr aprons out as well. Mopar Dave is a member here and is also the manager of Roseville Chrysler's restoration parts and offers a discount to members here. Yours are not nearly the worst ones I've seen and the quicker and (hopefully) easier method may be to buy the outer section and splice in where the rotted area is if you were unable to make, fit and weld in patches otherwise. Write this on the back of your hand- measure 3 times and cut once. You'll find that comes in pretty handy as you go. Good luck!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda70-74

That's a easy patch panel and you can go 2 ways to fix it. One way is to buy the repo part and cut the section u need out of it or you can make it out of scrape metal that will help u build up ur fabrication skills.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I think I'd patch it as well. That piece would be relatively easy to make a weld in as long as the metal near that circle is okay.
Sheldon

xx88man

Thanks guys. I will patch it. Do I need to support the body under the frame to do this?
Keep yer foot in it

tparker

When you say you are a complete rookie and never done metal replacement, what exactly do you mean? I consider myself a rookie. I've changed lots of panels on my car and fabricated several, in some places it shows. I ask because what really matters is your welding skills. Or atleast that can be the most challenging part. If you are experienced welder then this is all pointless. But welding sheet metal is a pain, atleast for me. Luckily, I think these parts are a bit thicker and should be easier. I would recommend practicing before you start. If possible take the scrap from the piece you remove and weld it to left over from the piece you are replacing with, assuming your just patching it in. My welding skills suck. I just start to get the hang of it about the time I'm done. lol

xx88man

Quote from: tparker on June 15, 2018, 04:23:22 PM
When you say you are a complete rookie and never done metal replacement, what exactly do you mean? I consider myself a rookie. I've changed lots of panels on my car and fabricated several, in some places it shows. I ask because what really matters is your welding skills. Or atleast that can be the most challenging part. If you are experienced welder then this is all pointless. But welding sheet metal is a pain, atleast for me. Luckily, I think these parts are a bit thicker and should be easier. I would recommend practicing before you start. If possible take the scrap from the piece you remove and weld it to left over from the piece you are replacing with, assuming your just patching it in. My welding skills suck. I just start to get the hang of it about the time I'm done. lol

Ya....I mean COMPLETELY rookie. I will definitely practice before I try welding on my Cuda! 
Keep yer foot in it

jimynick

What welding equipment do you have? MIG, gas torch, TIG?
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

gzig5

Quote from: xx88man on June 17, 2018, 04:01:11 PM
Quote from: jimynick on June 15, 2018, 06:46:10 PM
What welding equipment do you have? MIG, gas torch, TIG?

80 amp Mig

With gas?  Don't expect nice results with the flux core wire.  If you are going to do any amount of welding, the gas cylinder and regulator setup are absolutely worth it.  Welding on old rusty/thin metal just makes things harder with the flux core in my experience.  Still doable, but a lot more grinding and clean up.
Good luck!

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

Not sure when you want to do this. I was busy this weekend but could give a hand on a weekend sometime if you like. I can show you how to make the patch (including making a buck to make that circle) and give you some tips on the welding if you like. Not that I'm any good at it but I have done quite a bit of it!
Sheldon

xx88man

Thanks Sheldon. I'm working big days right now plus I have projects around home I need to get done first. I can let you know when I'm getting closer to being ready.  Thanks again.
Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon