Main Menu

Full sheet-metal replacement ..estimated cost ?

Started by Jocigar, September 01, 2021, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: BenDodge on December 14, 2021, 08:36:04 PM
Following, got my quote from the estimate and was going to send the 250.00 deposit to hold my spot for October.

Does their website estimate the hours ? or tell you how much $$ per hour....Should be pretty easy for @Filthy Filbert to figure out if it's going to be $12K or $24K   400 hours @ $60/hr is $24K
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

R/T's 4 R/P

I've heard that the installation center will not use sheet metal you provide. Is that true? If so, part of their pricing is a slight gain on material.

I also believe they only install the panels as-is and may not tweak the parts to be accurate for the year and application. There are a number of details that need some adjusting if you want an accurate appearance. You can see when someone just uses the parts as they come.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Filthy Filbert

That would be incorrect.  They will use what you provide.   There may be additional labor costs depending on what brand you provide due to figment and rework required.    I'm going to provide a good mark quarter along with a bunch of AMD stuff.  Craig at the center told me he'd use the goodmark but will show me what he has to tweak to make it work.

anlauto

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on December 15, 2021, 05:44:42 AM
That would be incorrect.  They will use what you provide.   There may be additional labor costs depending on what brand you provide due to figment and rework required.    I'm going to provide a good mark quarter along with a bunch of AMD stuff.  Craig at the center told me he'd use the goodmark but will show me what he has to tweak to make it work.

What happens if the "other" brands fit better then AMD, do they give you a discount ?? :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

I remember when my car was done at the AMD center in 2016, I had supplied a few Goodmark parts (1-pc trunk floor, L/R rocker panels and 1-pc front floor) with the car along with a few AMD parts. They installed the floor and trunk but for some reason could not use the rocker panels so I ended up purchasing AMD rockers through them. It was a good experience for the most part and the guys were good to work with.

cuda hunter

@Challenger in NC
How are AMD's fitments? 
Does everything line up after they gave it back to you? 
Or did you have to do some tweaking of the body to get things to line up? 
Door gaps, hood gaps, lid gaps, bumpers, fillers etc.etc.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Filthy Filbert

They told me they required my doors with the car, for quarter panel alignment.  However they will not require the fenders.   Also, they are explicit in saying that they do panel replacement only.  They do not do "body work" or paint. 

So, I anticipate that I will have some gap adjustments to make when fenders and hood go back on the car.    We'll find out in about a year I suppose.     Sept 2022 start date, and 12-16 week turn around time from "cut down" (assume that means removing all rusty panels to expose things like frame rails, roof structure, etc.), blast and prime, then build up.

Challenger in NC

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 15, 2021, 09:17:59 AM
@Challenger in NC
How are AMD's fitments? 
Does everything line up after they gave it back to you? 
Or did you have to do some tweaking of the body to get things to line up? 
Door gaps, hood gaps, lid gaps, bumpers, fillers etc.etc.

@cuda hunter
Generally everything lined up but I think there were one or two areas where the panels had to be tweaked to get a better looking fit. One example was the area where the rear qtr panel body line meets the qtr moulding. The back of the qtr had to be sliced in a small spot and rewelded/filled to make transition nice. I think AMD did a good job from what I can tell. The body line between door and qtr panels seem to line up well too. The rear deck lid on my car is original and it fit well with the qtr and dutchman panels. The hood and front fenders still need to be re-aligned but the guy that painted the car claims the gaps were fine. We checked the fitup of the windshield and rear glass with the AMD roof and A-pillars and those were good. I would be careful using an AMD rear glass because it measured shorter height wise than the original so I opted not to use it.

ek3

25-30 k will get you very close ... labor and metal. i had 38k in mine from metal to finished paint ,cut and buffed !  all  panel gaps welded and fitted to a as good as it gets level......0 shortcuts like this-

ek3

to this.. and amd metal is by far the best at least for a challenger. weights, thickness and fit were great!

Jocigar

EK3 where was your work and paint done?

I'm at 38k not finished and that doesn't include sheet-metal cost, for the same work that you had done.    :whiteflag:

My next project  ( if I ever recover from this one ) will be going down to the installation center in Georgia.  26k with sheetmetal according to quote. 

ek3

http://carolinaclassicrestorations.com/ 1st class all the way!   i should be clear that disassembly cost is not included in that figure, and it has been a few years since the metal work was completed. i am not sure what replacement panels are costing today! everything is crazy in the world right now............ vic will probably shoot me for this post as you may have more metal replacement than i did also .....

Filthy Filbert

I had made some updates in my other thread. 

Had some additional communications with them, got some things sorted out.  Deposit it paid and I'm officially booked for September 2022.    However, they just contacted me yesterday and said there's the possibility of moving that date up significantly.    There's a few small pieces they are waiting for to hit the warehouse, and once they do, they can basically bring me in immediately.   

Currently the remaining parts are due to AMD by Mid-March.