Main Menu

Grill removal then bumper question

Started by 73440, June 17, 2018, 07:43:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Started removal of 73 grill to repair a couple of cracks and to paint the correct argent.
While trying to get at certain bolts, removed 4 lower bumper bolts , then looking at body service manual photo am missing the two top bumper bolts.
Looking inside the bumper it looks like the PO had the top bolt holes welded to the support and filled in the bumper. With the 4 bolts removed the bumper does not come off.
If I can get the lower grill bolts out under the headlights will the grill come out ? Need a 3/8" short wobbly, only one I can't find now, ugh.

The more I work on things , I realize they weren't built to be worked on or removed, haha.

Spikedog08

Have you considered removing the bumper and mounts together?   :huh:  They just bolt to the frame rail I believe . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

jimynick

There's only 2 scenarios here; either the PO bolted the blade to the bar before installing it or if you take the nut off the upper now stud, can you lift the blade up and off? Failing that, it's, as mentioned, take the bumper assembly off. Can you loosen the bumper bracket bolts enough to let it sag enough to get the grille out?  :dunno:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Got the two lower grill bolts out,
Thanks, I will take the bumper brackets loose at the frame rails, I see one bracket bolt is already broke off on passenger side.

nsmall

@73440

Have someone help you.    YOU DONT WANT THE BUMPER AND BRACKETS TO CRASH DOWN ON YOUR LOWER PLASTIC GRILL.

The lower grill is not cheap to replace.  Sounds like your 73 bumper is tucked in so you need that bumper out to safely and easily remove the front grill.  Just be paranoid as you dont want to damage the plastic grill. 

Grille is out,
Thank you, removing the two rear bracket bolts and pivoting on the front bolt , was able to pivit the bumper down,  was able to remove the grille.
Will also try to get the blackout done more correct before replacing the grille , center attachment tab was already broke off and existing cracks to repair and repaint argent.

Burdar

There is a lot going on with the 73 and 74 bumpers.  The big crash beam makes lining everything back up a challenge.  In the future, just remove the front valance, then the 6 frame bolts.  The entire bumper assembly can then be removed easily.  :bigthumb:

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on June 18, 2018, 06:03:04 AM
  In the future, just remove the front valance, then the 6 frame bolts.  The entire bumper assembly can then be removed easily.  :bigthumb:

That would be the way to go.. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

nsmall

Black out will look much better. :bradsthumb:

Let me know if you want and I can share some pics as I recently did this.

@nsmall , I found a couple of blackout photos, but yes I would like to see your blackout photos to help me do mine better , thank you.

nsmall

Heres what I came up with.  If I had a black radiator it would look better, but it is what it is.

Not sure its necessary to black out around the head lights, but I went for it.

@73440 here ya go...

Thank you @nsmall !
That looks like the way I will end up doing it

Burdar

SEM Trim Black works great for the blackout.

@Burdar , thank you !
I will pickup some of that paint.
I have couple of cans of Totally Auto light argent already for the grille.
Read someone used Plastifix , think that was the brand ,on the grille repairs , plan to try that .

nsmall

Quote from: Burdar on June 19, 2018, 02:11:32 PM
SEM Trim Black works great for the blackout.

:iagree:

Used it everywhere.  I love SEM products.  Easy to spray and lays down nice.