Main Menu

Header Panel and Grill Identification for 1970 Cuda

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, November 08, 2022, 02:04:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

FYI...
PG Classic's manufactures their own 1970 Cuda grill as well and has for quite a while now. They always had the 1970 Cuda signal lights available until they ran out of lenes, you can still get the housing with the pig tales etc... now and they are hoping to get the lenses back in production soon as well.

Here's their grill https://pgclassic.com/collections/grille/products/c-77ro6169-set
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

Quote from: FE5CUDA on November 10, 2022, 08:23:46 AM
Mike is a very good friend of mine here locally that has helped me out a ton over the years that was banned from this website for not "playing well" with others for calling them out on their PS. 

The only reproduction grille on the planet that was perfect was the one he reproduced partner with MOPAR with all the part numbers and Penta Star on all the pieces parts and he had the only parking lights available.  His grilles were sold thru the Chrysler dealerships until they ran out of them.  The only other manufacturer of the 70 Cuda grille was Goodmark which is manufactured by Jesse Lia in Twain which is what you see on ebay and all the other vendors that advertise them, the trim profile is terrible and fits awful and didn't have the minor detail as the original that the BEA grille had. 

This website lost a wealth of knowledge and information when that guy was banned.

I remember when I was looking for the lenses for my grille. I called Mike and he talked to me for about an hour detailing what to look for in reporduction/original parts and he let me know that he didn't have many more of the lenses left. He was such a cool guy to talk to. I could tell he loved the hobby and liked helping people finish their cars. Good guy.

70_440-6Cuda

My car has a fiberglass front clip, which I assumed was from a front end collision, but the radiator support is original with the VIN and perfectly straight - also no signs of being replaced so  :notsure:

I got a bunch of stuff from a guy locally, and just trying to sort through everything and identify the best parts I have that are factory - I will have an extra set of front parking lights for sale as well.

I have 2 header panels, one is really straight with no repairs, trying to identify if it is 1: original and 2: I heard they are date coded, so where to find that info as I see no markings on it anywhere (but I am also old and blind!)

I am trying to find original parts rather than going aftermarket just because of the fit and finish - only thing I could not find at a reasonable price were front fenders so I went AMD... wasn't spending $2K each for NOS fenders
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

198D13

Quote from: FE5CUDA on November 10, 2022, 08:23:46 AM
Mike is a very good friend of mine here locally that has helped me out a ton over the years that was banned from this website for not "playing well" with others for calling them out on their PS. 

The only reproduction grille on the planet that was perfect was the one he reproduced partner with MOPAR with all the part numbers and Penta Star on all the pieces parts and he had the only parking lights available.  His grilles were sold thru the Chrysler dealerships until they ran out of them.  The only other manufacturer of the 70 Cuda grille was Goodmark which is manufactured by Jesse Lia in Twain which is what you see on ebay and all the other vendors that advertise them, the trim profile is terrible and fits awful and didn't have the minor detail as the original that the BEA grille had. 

I'm sure the site had its reasons for banning him. I post a screen shot of the initial page on his website. Emphasis on: "has a very simple philosophy, produce the absolute best reproduction parts without compromise."
This website lost a wealth of knowledge and information when that guy was banned.

198D13

ALL, yes, ALL of the 1970 seat belt sets listed on his site are inaccurate as they all are 1971 style, all having 1971 chrome ends on them. This is not in line with the previous statement that I quoted from his website. Just some information for everyone.

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: Jay Bee on November 09, 2022, 01:10:10 PM
OEM left headlight bucket. I'll drag the center section out later and look.

Same here.

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on November 08, 2022, 02:04:18 PM
Purchased a LOT of parts locally, and sorting through what I have.  Did the cursory google search without success.  Are there any markings on the header panel and grill / headlight bezels for a '70 Barracuda?  If so where should I be looking?

I looked over the parts and was unable to find any markings - thanks

The most common repro grille compared to an original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kswwj56tCx0

anlauto

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on November 10, 2022, 04:21:36 PM
Purchased a LOT of parts locally, and sorting through what I have.  Did the cursory google search without success.  Are there any markings on the header panel and grill / headlight bezels for a '70 Barracuda?  If so where should I be looking?

Nice comparison video...it's funny how he talks about OER like they set the standard with "their" parts when all they do is re-label other manufactures parts  :haha:   CHL is the manufacture https://en.chlautoparts.com.tw/about-us.html
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on November 10, 2022, 04:21:36 PM

GREAT video!! Man there is so much to know just to scratch the surface - trying not to make mistakes that will cost me more in the long run..
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

Found this marking on the header panel - does it mean anything?  Also stamped what looks like 100

FE5CUDA

Quote from: 198D13 on November 10, 2022, 01:38:51 PM
ALL, yes, ALL of the 1970 seat belt sets listed on his site are inaccurate as they all are 1971 style, all having 1971 chrome ends on them. This is not in line with the previous statement that I quoted from his website. Just some information for everyone.

Only the pictures on his website where the original samples sent to him for pictures.  He immediately corrected that with PG long before he made a production run of both years.  I own an interior shop and have used the reproduction 70 & 71 belts, they had the correct curved male ends for 70 as apposed to the straight used in 71.

Filthy Filbert

Can you post pictures of the parts you ordered and received and what's wrong with them?

anlauto

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 11, 2022, 09:14:15 AM

Can you post pictures of the parts you ordered and received and what's wrong with them?

It's my understanding that the guy no longer manufactures or sells reproduction parts so why is this conversation even relevant ? and what's it got to do with identifying a header panel ?

MoparCarGuy

For original or repro grilles, here is some info on correctly finishing the 1970 grille's dark argent silver. Yes, the 1970 grille is dark argent as well as the Shaker scoop.
Lighting and viewing angle vary the look of the grille.

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com/restoring-comeback-cudas-shaker-grille-correct-finish-color-myths-busted/

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2022, 09:32:17 AM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 11, 2022, 09:14:15 AM

It's my understanding that the guy no longer manufactures or sells reproduction parts so why is this conversation even relevant ? and what's it got to do with identifying a header panel ?

:rofl: