Main Menu

Header Panel and Grill Identification for 1970 Cuda

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, November 08, 2022, 02:04:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2022, 09:32:17 AM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 11, 2022, 09:14:15 AM
Quote from: 198D13 on November 10, 2022, 01:38:51 PM
ALL, yes, ALL of the 1970 seat belt sets listed on his site are inaccurate as they all are 1971 style, all having 1971 chrome ends on them. This is not in line with the previous statement that I quoted from his website. Just some information for everyone.

Can you post pictures of the parts you ordered and received and what's wrong with them?

What does bringing up seat belts in the first place have to do with identifying a header panel?

I thought we were trying to share info and learn from each other; to include how to identify 'incorrect' parts...

Or is that not what we do here anymore?

It's my understanding that the guy no longer manufactures or sells reproduction parts so why is this conversation even relevant ? and what's it got to do with identifying a header panel ?

MoparCarGuy

The OP @70_440-6Cuda sparked my interest in identifying Barracuda/Cuda header panels by stamped numbers/date codes AND identifying original Barracuda/Cuda grilles by factory part numbers.
The seat belt differences are separate but deserve a separate thread to discuss. I want to know about those differences, too.  :drinkingbud:

Refocusing, @70_440-6Cuda, where were the stamped header numbers located? The pics are zoomed in quite a bit but I will attempt to check my original `70 Cuda for numbers as long as the paint has not filled them in.

anlauto

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on November 11, 2022, 05:29:03 PM
The seat belt differences are separate but deserve a separate thread to discuss. I want to know about those differences, too.  :drinkingbud:

Although this thread makes no mention of the BE&A seat belts, it does talk about PG Classic's belts which are the same and still available...
https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-wanted/25/looking-for-a-complete-set-of-black-seat-belts-for-a-70-cuda-convertible/26727/msg302883#msg302883
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

The stamp is on the larger center support bracket.  I am learning a lot here, and am finding there are many many details that can make a part right or not forgotten my car and need the expertise to make sure Iselect the most accurate parts
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

cuda hunter

Don't forget there are black plastic grills that are sprayed with black argent. 
I don't have paperwork that proves which cars got the black grills, but AAR's got them, sometimes, there may have been some M46's with them?  I have one M46 that had the grill taken out and inside the car when I purchased it, broken to pieces, but black plastic and black argent. 

I am also not sure if the part numbers are the same.  Anyone know the answer? 

If any of your grill parts are black plastic and do not match with your grey plastic dark argent grill parts I would be interested.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

mccannix

Factory AAR grills with their headlight bezels and lower vlance inserts were not painted , they were molded
in black.

MoparCarGuy

The stamping of WS 36 1 on the grille header panel support for @70_440-6Cuda is located in the red box.
When installed the impression side of the stamp is hidden so I could not see the numbers on my Cuda.
Maybe others have a header panel in their stash of parts and can post their stamped letters/numbers.
BTW - Where are the other "C" shaped support brackets for this header panel? I thought they were welded to the header panel.

Ns1aar

My 70 header panel is stamped 31-1
Im sure they had more than one die for these parts if the die went bad they would be able to find which one needs repair.
The wiper motors have these types of numbers on the cast housing tooling

Mr Cuda

I thought those numbers were just plant or run/shift numbers.  I checked my 3 that were handy.
(2) sw 29-1 (1) sw36-1
What does it all mean? Obviously,  identifier of factory vs repop, but plant? LA vs Hammtramic?

70_440-6Cuda

I think someone from this forum had mentioned that the header panel had a date code, but I could be mistaken - would not be the first time!  Not that it matters - looks like I have original parts so that is really what I was looking for.  Would be curious to know what the markings mean if anything....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

198D13

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 11, 2022, 05:17:30 PM
Quote from: anlauto on November 11, 2022, 09:32:17 AM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 11, 2022, 09:14:15 AM
Quote from: 198D13 on November 10, 2022, 01:38:51 PM
ALL, yes, ALL of the 1970 seat belt sets listed on his site are inaccurate as they all are 1971 style, all having 1971 chrome ends on them. This is not in line with the previous statement that I quoted from his website. Just some information for everyone.

Can you post pictures of the parts you ordered and received and what's wrong with them?

What does bringing up seat belts in the first place have to do with identifying a header panel?

I thought we were trying to share info and learn from each other; to include how to identify 'incorrect' parts...

Or is that not what we do here anymore?

It's my understanding that the guy no longer manufactures or sells reproduction parts so why is this conversation even relevant ? and what's it got to do with identifying a header panel ?

It may be your understanding that he doesn't manufacture them anymore, but if that is the case, why does he still list them on his website, and why has he not changed the pictures of all of them to correct this glaring error??  Go to his website and take a look. The fact that he still HAS a website indicates that those flawed products do exist and are for sale.

As for the header panels, it seems that everyone here is having trouble with even the most basic identification of these. A lot of the pictures posted are of a 1971 header panel, not a 1970, as was mentioned at the start of this thread.

As far as 1970 grilles cast in black plastic, they were not available until shortly before the AAR 'cuda's were made(end of February of 1970), and when they were installed in AAR's, they and the headlight bezels were also painted black organosol(NOT argent, which is a silver colour @cudahunter ) giving the grille and bezels a slightly rough finish. The first editions of the 1970 parts book do not list a black grille, the later editions do, with a different part number than the silver ones. The vast majority of M46 equipped cars were very early production, so the all would have had silver grilles in them, BUT at least some of those grilles and bezels(maybe a lot, as far as I'm concerned) were sprayed black with the organosol paint.