Main Menu

hood popup spring plastic cap

Started by culp71, June 18, 2018, 07:17:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

I've seen it before but cant seem to find it now... looking for the plastic "aftermarket" cap you are using on top of the hood pop up spring to prevent any damage to the hood, thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

Following. I wound some thin heat shrink tubing around my spring. Seems to be working, for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Burdar

I think the plastic cap was something off of a Ford van. Windstar maybe?

I just put a short piece of vacuum hose on the end.  It works perfectly and you really don't even notice it's there.

RUNCHARGER

I like Burdar's idea. However I'm hardcore, I let it chip.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

lid from a 35 mm film canister , good luck finding one tho !!
Vacuum hose is a better idea

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 18, 2018, 07:49:28 AM
I like Burdar's idea. However I'm hardcore, I let it chip.

I'm with you :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70/6chall

Years ago every time I opened the hood for service work or to prove to someone that there truly is a 6 cyl. engine under the hood of a '70 Challenger. I've noticed the mark left by the pop up spring on the hood. I found that an old top from a 35mm film canister affixed to the top of spring works great. It's been there ever since. See pic, sorry of quality of pic.   Thanks,   Al

CudaMoparRay

The moment I saw this tread I remembered having one black roll film cap laying around for some reason.
Ran out to the garage and installed it, works like a dream and looks pretty good.
Way too late to prevent "damage" but still looks cool.
Thanks to all for the ideas.

benlavigne

A friend of mine works as a tech at a C-J-D-R dealership... these come on the hood spring on late-model JK Wranglers.
He'd take them off when doing the PDI, and give them away to vintage Mopar owners he saw at shows!
I guess You can probably get new ones from the dealer.

Ben

Daveh

I bought a can of that Plastidip.  The heavy duty flexible rubber coating.  You know you dip a tool handle in it and it forms around the handle.  Did the same thing and dipped both ends of the spring and let it dry and it worked well. 

B5fourspeed

I bought a black plastic cap from Tap Plastics.Fit like a glove.

cudaragtop

Felt on the top of the spring of my 70 Cuda. No safety hook. Hood pins!

I removed the spring when I took the 70 Challenger in to get the engine compartment painted.
I'm not going to put it back. Not going to put the safety hook back either.
I don't need a spring to open the Challenger hood.
I have hood pins for keeping the hood from accidently flying open or off going down the road.
Not going to ever hit my head on the safety hook either.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

318Stroker

It is actually from a Ford Aerostar. I posted some years ago on Moparts that it was a Windstar, but I stand corrected. It's Aerostar, and FOrd doesn't carry it any longer. Junkyards only.

Lemontwist

This is what I use.  But you can use a plastic bottle cap from a pill bottle or any screw on cap.  You can also add a piece of felt to the top of a cap for a cushion
Drew