Main Menu

Hood rear height

Started by dodj, October 18, 2023, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

So I haven't used my wipers in a couple years because the wiper motor was giving me problems. I replaced it not too long ago and it works great now.....

with the hood open.....

My wipers hit the rear edge of the hood and took a little paint off. Now, are my wipers to high in profile or is my hood too low?  :huh:

Measuring from the windshield to the trailing edge of the hood I get 1 3/16" of space there. Am I too low?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

I had a similar issue.  See this thread:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/park-position-for-wiper-blades/21601/msg265117#msg265117

I'll try to get a height measurement from my hood, but I have no way of knowing if it's correct. 

dodj

Quote from: Dakota on October 18, 2023, 05:05:32 PM

I'll try to get a height measurement from my hood, but I have no way of knowing if it's correct. 
You and me both...lol

Thanks
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

headejm

My car has the chrome trim on the back edge of the hood. Measuring from the bottom edge of the chrome hood trim to the surface of the large chrome piece that the wipers rest against = 1 1/4"

dodj

Quote from: headejm on October 18, 2023, 09:34:49 PM
My car has the chrome trim on the back edge of the hood. Measuring from the bottom edge of the chrome hood trim to the surface of the large chrome piece that the wipers rest against = 1 1/4"
Thank you
:cheers:

Dakota

I don't have chrome trim on the back of my hood.  From the bottom edge of the hood to the chrome under the wipers, there's a 1-1/4" gap. 

dodj

Quote from: Dakota on October 19, 2023, 04:03:47 PM

I don't have chrome trim on the back of my hood.  From the bottom edge of the hood to the chrome under the wipers, there's a 1-1/4" gap.
Thanks. You're still listed as Buffalo NY........ain't you a Lone Star boy now?

JonH

:needphotos: you must not have the oe blades. Mine clear by a mile...

Dakota

Quote from: dodj on October 19, 2023, 04:55:40 PM
Quote from: Dakota on October 19, 2023, 04:03:47 PM

Thanks. You're still listed as Buffalo NY........ain't you a Lone Star boy now?

Yep.  Forgot to update my profile.   All better now. Thanks for catching that. 

Dakota

Quote from: JonH on October 19, 2023, 04:55:47 PM

You are correct.   I'll get some OE style ordered from Roseville when they have them back in stock.

dodj

Quote from: JonH on October 19, 2023, 04:55:47 PM
Oh I'm sure they are not OE. I don't think they are as tall as Dakota's though. His look pretty tall.
How tall are your wipers?

Bullitt-

My cheapo replacement blades stand 1-1/8 inch at center. something similar to these
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8932360&cc=1078567&pt=8852&jsn=675

I see "reproductions" specifically for e-body offered at 5X the price made from stamped steel
https://dantesparts.com/i-30498793-mopar-1970-1974-e-body-1971-1974-b-body-wiper-blades.html

May be the same thing but claim to be made from  Brushed, satin finish stainelss steel
https://www.moparmall.com/1971-74-Charger-GTX-RoadRunner-Sat-Wiper-Blades-p/801-329(x2)_a.htm

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

70vert

are you needing just the blade inserts or the entire metal arms? I have a couple sets of the arms, used of course, if interested.

dodj

I have several sets of arms, but thanks for the offer  :drinkingbud:

Dakota

I bought a pair of OE-ish wiper blades from eBay (Roseville was out of stock when I looked).  There's a big difference in height: 3/4" instead of 1-3/4 from AutoZone.  Now the wipers nicely tuck under the hood. 😁