Main Menu

rear window install height

Started by GoMangoBoys, August 05, 2023, 11:12:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I have got my rear window trim clips installed.  I am trying to determine whether the glass is going to fit right.  I am probably going to take it to a glass/windshield place where the owner is an old-timer who works on classic cars.  At this point, I am trying to make sure that everything is going to fit for him.

1.  What is the proper installed height of the glass so that the trim clips in and lays flat?  Is it flush with the sheet metal, or slightly lower as in the attached picture with the square in it?

2. Based on where it is now, it looks like I need 3/8 butyl tape in some areas and half inch in other areas.  If we use 1/2" all the way around, will the places that only require 3/8" compress that much?

3. Is it safe to make the glass deflect (bend) a little when it is installed?  Basically, the curvature of the glass is not identical to that of the car.   Looks like bending the glass a bit to push each lower corner down 1/16 -1/8 inch will do it.

Thanks

71GranCoupe

A good glass installer should know what to do to make sure it is at the right height and the trim will fit correctly. Take the trim with the car and then he will know what he has to do to make it right. I am not a glass installer, but I would NEVER attempt to any deflecting or bending. On the first real road trip, the body will flex and the glass will not like it and possibly drop into a thousand pieces. Go with the installers recommendations on this.

YellowThumper

Assuming this is aftermarket glass.
Some flex can and does happen, however I would question (and not personally) attempt flexing it that much.
Even if it survives, that tension will remain. Along with working against the seal and clips to eventually leak.
I suggest using proper bead of the Butyl from a caulking gun. Test fit window using hard spacers in various spots to elevate window to desired height. Also to properly locate it central to opening. IE not sliding downward.
All spacers to be located off of where the seal bead will be applied.
Once it is to your liking, apply the bead and set it in.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Marty

GoMangoBoys

I realize now that I am overthinking it.  We have put a lot into this car and I have never done a lot of this type of work before.  I am just worrying too much that it is not going to work out.  I am taking it to the glass shop soon.  We are very close to being done with this car.  Hoping to take it to Bowling Green in September.

Challenger in NC

@GoMangoBoys    Hey Brad, how did your front/rear glass end up looking? Any problems installing the trim? Did the butyl tape work out ok?
Chris

GoMangoBoys

@Challenger in NC  The rear window turned out great, as did the windshield.  The trim fit well.  It is a little high on the one corner, but not bad.  I took it to a local glass shop.  The owner of the shop was 78 years old and did them both in about 6 hours.  I live close, so I drove it home that day.   I don't have any great pictures showing them, but here are a couple from the Moparty that kind of show them.

chargerdon

On my 74 Chally...i took it to a professional glass shop.   I had an original rear glass to be put in as well as the shop providing a new front windshield.   They used a special gun to put in the right amount of urethane not butyl tape.    For the front windshield it must have been thinner than what the original was, so they did what they called...making a "dam" to raise the windshield to the proper height.   

Of course i had the new clips already installed...    They then installed the trim for me..   In total including the new windshield they charged me $325 which i thought was quite reasonable and i have had zero problems with it.   Probably sealed better than when it was new as i am told most of them leaked on the rear glass.