Main Menu

How does this hold to the body?

Started by xx88man, July 18, 2020, 10:28:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

Hi everyone. Can someone please tell me how this holds on to the body? Installing park brake assembly on a 71 Challenger. Yes it's obvious it is probably never supposed to come out but things happen  :bricks:   Thanks in advance
Keep yer foot in it

soundcontrol

It is pressed in the hole. If it gets loose its very hard, if not impossible to attach it again, I welded some that came out.

anlauto

It's called a "clinch" nut, actually part of the stamping process. The nut is forced into the steel, cutting and clinching it's way in.
Once you have it in your hand like that....the only way to fix it would be welding it in place. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

I assume you have come across this problem at some point Alan?  @anlauto
Keep yer foot in it

76orangewagon

Just buy a caged nut in the correct size (1/4" or 5/16") and pop it in the hole. you might have to do some light filing on the square hole but it's an easy fix... 

anlauto

Quote from: xx88man on July 18, 2020, 11:21:11 AM

Yup, also worked 18 years in a stamping plant where the presses installed these all the time :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

xx88man

Quote from: 76orangewagon on July 18, 2020, 11:52:04 AM
Just buy a caged nut in the correct size (1/4" or 5/16") and pop it in the hole. you might have to do some light filing on the square hole but it's an easy fix...

That's awesome. Thank you for your help!
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

Quote from: anlauto on July 18, 2020, 12:29:34 PM

Yup, also worked 18 years in a stamping plant where the presses installed these all the time :alan2cents:

I figured you were familiar with this problem! Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

Quote from: xx88man on July 18, 2020, 01:00:03 PM
Quote from: anlauto on July 18, 2020, 12:29:34 PM

I figured you were familiar with this problem! Thanks

Yea...I had my nuts clinched about 15 years ago after the birth of my last child  :o :haha: