Main Menu

Installing Door Trim

Started by moparroy, May 10, 2022, 12:50:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

For my '74 Cuda...
Does it matter which you install first - the interior headliner trim - or the exterior drip rail and side window weather stripping trim?
I was planning to install the drip rail and weatherstripping exterior trim first.
Noticed today there is a lip on the lower edge of the headliner interior trim piece above the door - wondering if this interacts ie sits under the drip rail or weatherstripping piece from the outside.
Thanks

anlauto

You can put the INTERIOR roof rail trim on first if you want no problem. :bigthumb:
On the EXTERIOR, the drip rail moldings must go on first, then the weather-strip channel....then the weather-strip. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Thanks - Can I read between the lines I can do it either way? I'd rather do the exterior first. Headliner being white I would prefer to delay its installation as long as possible to minimize the risk of having to clean it before the car is done.   :)) Was planning to do the headliner just before the front and rear glass at the last stages.

yea I had to look at that exterior trim a few times to jog my memory from 20 years ago when I removed it    :smile:

anlauto

My upholstery guy prefers to do the headliner BEFORE  the exterior weather-strip channel is in place, because you have to pull and stretch and glue the headliner along the same area that the weather-strip channel occupies.

Are you doing the headliner yourself ? If not, I've got a guy I've been using since 1986....he will come to your house, and it will be perfect... :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moparroy

Thanks for the follow up - good to know.
I plan to do it myself - they say the yorkshire is easier and I did re-install the old one before sending it to SMS for template - it seemed to go ok considering the age and close cut (ie there was not much extra material - there is a good couple inches all around on the new one).
Actually that gets me thinking - there are clips that go on that edge by the external trim - so yea for sure the headliner has to go in before the external trim.