Main Menu

Gas cap question

Started by blown motor, December 14, 2021, 09:52:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I want the handle of the gas cap to sit horizontal. Can I twist the components of the cap to realign things or will that wreck the cap?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Is that the correct gas cap ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Quote from: anlauto on December 14, 2021, 09:57:23 AM
Is that the correct gas cap ?

Sort of. Right now the truck has a flip cap on it which is definitely wrong. If I remove the WARNING tag, get it aligned right and paint it body colour it will be right. I'm hoping by scuffing up the chrome I can get primer and paint to stick. Or maybe I'll just leave it chrome. That wouldn't be the only thing on the truck that's not correct.

Brads70

I have no idea, but is the filler neck straight? If so maybe its the filler neck that needs to move?  :notsure:

anlauto

Looks like it's riveted, I would try turning it, if you screw it up, it's a pretty cheap cap to replace :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

I put a pipe wrench on the internal part and tried a couple different things to turn the flat plate but no dice. So I put put back together, put on the truck until it tightened and the added a little extra pressure thinking that I would stop just before something broke. Well low and behold it turned far enough for the handle to be horizontal. I don't know what was happening on the backside of the cap where I couldn't see but I achieved what I wanted. Did it a half a dozen times, all good.

Matt M

I was thinking if you tried putting it on the opposite way you were trying earlier and turn it hard it would line up.
Same thing happened to me.

jimynick

See Murray, if you fuel around enough, somethings bound to happen! AND, while screwin' you got it on right! LOL  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Quote from: jimynick on December 14, 2021, 06:12:57 PM
See Murray, if you fuel around enough, somethings bound to happen! AND, while screwin' you got it on right! LOL  :bigthumb:

" if you fuel around enough". Lol. I love a good pun!