Main Menu

Z bar question

Started by usraptor, February 17, 2017, 08:32:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Can somebody please explain the purpose of this clip (circled) on the Z bar.  I can't see that it does anything.    :help:

twenty mike mike

usraptor

Considering it's on the outside of the bar and the bushing is inside, I still don't see how it works and why isn't there one on the other side also?

twenty mike mike

Quote from: usraptor on February 17, 2017, 11:39:59 AM
Considering it's on the outside of the bar and the bushing is inside, I still don't see how it works and why isn't there one on the other side also?

There should be two holes in the Z bar that the clip ends go in to retain the bushing. The bushing on the other side is retained by the ball on the bellhousing once the assembly is installed, so no retainer is required, nor desired. There is some movement between the the engine and the Z bar ball/bushing on the frame rail side, so the inner bushing shouldn't be pinned rigidly.

71GranCoupe

Quote from: twenty mike mike on February 17, 2017, 11:54:51 AM
Quote from: usraptor on February 17, 2017, 11:39:59 AM

There should be two holes in the Z bar that the clip ends go in to retain the bushing. The bushing on the other side is retained by the ball on the bellhousing once the assembly is installed, so no retainer is required, nor desired. There is some movement between the the engine and the Z bar ball/bushing on the frame rail side, so the inner bushing shouldn't be pinned rigidly.
:iagree:

RUNCHARGER

The end result is that the Z-bar stays in the correct position and it's ends don't rub on the bellhousing or frame bracket.
Sheldon

usraptor

Got, thanks again.  I missed the two small holes.  :Thud:

Chryco Psycho

the ends of the clip go into a groove in the outside of the bushing so the bushin cannot slide inside the tube , this can all be assembled before installing it