Main Menu

New Guy With a Question?

Started by Moparkin, April 02, 2019, 02:33:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Moparkin

Hello From Texas,
I am new and would like to ask anyone if they could name this rusty part . It is attached to the inner wheel tub and runs up into the back window area. I am attempting to rebuild this 1970 challenger with a 440. It is not going to be original but comfortable. I hope to finish the car before the Parkinson's finishes me :yes: Retired Lawman 37 years Federal.
Thanks So Much,
Mark

Moparkin

Sorry, I am attempting to send photos.

Moparkin

Photos

Moparkin

aussiemark

That is the part of the rear roof structure (roll bar) ties into the rear wheel well. I don't think you can get this section new unless you buy a whole side section from Dynacorn. http://dynacorndepot.com/quarterdoor-frame-complete-rh-704-6098wt-challenger-70-74 I would just trim out the rusted section and make a patch to weld in, this type of repair is easy because you can't see it when the car is finished so it doesn't have to be pretty just strong. Another way is to find a parts car and remove the section you need provided you can find one that doesn't have rust.

anlauto

That part will have to be fabricated  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Moparkin

Thank you, I will attempt fabricate this part.

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @Moparkin   :welcome:   :banana:  Tell us more about you cool project!   :veryexcited:

And thank you for your years of service.  :worship:

JS29

jimynick

First, welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada:  and after I got my head turned sideways enough, I figured out what you were referring to, LOL  Just get some 18gauge steel (you can go thinner if you want to) and make up the sections, but remember to leave a small hole open at the bottom edge where the upper meets the outer wheelhouse. Condensation will cause water to form and run down the inside of that panel- the reason it's rotted now- and if you don't let it drain, it'll only return. If you take the whole 1/4 off at the roof seam, you'll have more room and also be able to see if there's more rot- and in a E body, there's always more rot! Good luck  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Moparkin

Thanks Jimynick. One of my goals for my challenger is rust free when it goes back together.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site
Parkinsons can be devastating , I hope your case is mild  :andyangel:

Moparkin

I recently had the Deep Brain Stimulator installed this has gave me new hope. Enough hope to finish my childhood dream car.

Chryco Psycho

I have heard about that , cutting edge tech for sure , Praying for you !!

Fastmark

Howdy from a fellow Texan and welcome to the site. What part of Texas are you from? I live out west in Abilene.