Main Menu

Polyester Urethane Paint

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 25, 2019, 08:13:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

On my 71 Barracuda, the previous owner gave me a can of leftover paint and after 12 years, it is still liquid. I don't expect it to be any good but I was hoping to spray a couple small items to confirm this.

From looking it up on the Internet, apparently polyester urethane is more durable than polyurethane and typically found in commercial uses that need extreme durability. It also says that polyester urethane is a three part formula. Anyone ever spray this before? What sort of hardener and accelerant would be suitable? I have some acrylic urethane hardener.

The can is hard to read so I am unable to find the manufacturer or any instructions. All I am able to get is that it's polyester urethane and was mixed in 2007.

I know this sounds futile but my car is already painted this color and looks amazing. It will not see another paint job for a very long time. The tail light bezels are black though when they should be body color and I'd like to fix this if I can. I know I can try and match the color with new paint but I'd have to buy an entire gallon and there's a decent chance it wouldn't even match the current color.

Any advice or opinions from the paint guys would be helpful.

Thanks, Mike

screamindriver

I wouldn't immediately rule out the paint being usable depending on how it was stored..Post a pic of the paint can maybe it can be determined which brand you have there..

70 Challenger Lover

Not much to work with here but here are some pics.

I can tell there is liquid inside so that's a decent sign. I have not opened it because I am thinking I will get one shot once it's exposed to air again. Ideally, if I can use some of the activators or gardeners I already have, that would be great but I know that's wishful thinking.

TWOBOLTS

That label is the breakdown of the toners used to make the color.   The label has Diamont written on it.  Its one of BASF paint lines.  Find an auto body supply store near you that carries that brand, they will recommend reducers/ hardeners depending on temperature, and clear to use on it.

70 Challenger Lover

That's helpful. I assumed that was some other name of the color used by a different car make. I'll continue my research!