Main Menu

How much paint will I need?

Started by Dakota, July 06, 2018, 05:09:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I'm in need of some help figuring out if I have enough paint to finish my what's left to do on my car.

The short-ish version of the story:

The outside of my car was painted a couple of years ago.   The following areas/items remain:

1.  engine compartment (hood is done)
2.  inside of trunk (deck lid is done)
3.  hood hinges (new)
4.  front bumper supports

The new and old color is FC7.   The prior paint job is about 15 years old.   The engine compartment is my main concern as there were a number of small repairs/touchups made to the firewall where it's down to bare metal (ballpark 5% of the surface area).   The remaining paint is faded or thin.  My intent is to end up with new paint on the entire compartment which I think will take 2 coats.  I'll be using a HVLP gun.   

I have about 1/3 of gallon of the unreduced Standox (Axalta) basecoat leftover that was passed on to me by the guy that painted the outside.   Based on what I can read online, it's supposed to be mixed 1:1 with reducer along with a catalyst. Given the price tag involved with buying more paint, I'm hoping I can stretch what I have but I also don't want to get into the middle of things and run out.   

Will I have enough?   The coverage estimators I can see online are focused on body panels so they weren't much help. 

750-h2

Sounds like you should have enough paint . Bumper brackets should be black.

JS29

Use A dark sealer, I use Exalta chromabase but that dose not require any type of catalyst in the base. If you can find an Exalta jobber see what value shade level FC7 is and use that, it will give you the best coverage, off the top of my head I would say #7. :alan2cents:

jimynick

Is this a base/clear paint or single stage? If it's 2 stage and your estimation of the reduction runs 1:1:1 paint/reducer/hardener then you'd have over 2 Imperial pints or more than a full quart of paint and a fully diluted 3 quarts, and all you need to do is colour the part and the clear gives the shine. As mentioned, I'd use a tinted primer if you're really scared, but it sounds like you'll have more than enough if your figures are correct. Just my  :alan2cents: worth though.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

I agree: You should have lots, I wouldn't mix it all.
Sheldon

Dakota

Quote from: 750-h2 on July 06, 2018, 05:25:39 PM
Bumper brackets should be black.

@750-h2 I probably didn't use the correct name.  I was referring to this frame component.  Body color or black?

JS29

1 Wild R/T

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Dakota

I'm happy to report that I only used about 1 pint of paint/reducer mix to get 3 coats of basecoat on my engine compartment.   I'm in good shape with the remaining paint to do the inside of the trunk.   

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

76orangewagon

Looks much better....thanks for not painting the engine compartment black. As far as the bumper brackets ....80% gloss black.

tparker

A little late on the reply but I used about a quart for the trunk and engine compartment along with various pieces. If I recall, it was a bit of a stretch but I made it.