Main Menu

New Sheetmetal Quality

Started by 71vert340, December 30, 2018, 11:01:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I asked this question a few years ago and was told to hang on to the spare fenders, hoods, etc. which I have stored as the quality of the reproduced parts still required some work. I see now where people recommend various sheet metal from certain vemdors for restoration. The question:  Has it improved significantly to be at the quality of the original doors, hoods, fenders and trunk lid I have stored and should I get rid of these original parts? I want to be able to repair my cars if there's an accident with excellent quality parts.
Thanks.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

Keep what you have for sure. No question whatsoever.
Sheldon

Rich G.

Definitely a big improvement with companies like AMD and also there is a lot more parts available but I'd use the original parts even if they need a little work first when possible. Ain't nothing like the real thing.

anlauto

The new AMD sheet metal is nice, it's better then nothing, but if you have something, then keep it  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I sell lots of AMD sheetmetal, along with dynacorn and the others as well. Some of it is fairly nice, some is junk but I would use original on my own car every time.
Sheldon

RJChallenger

Keep the factory stuff. I put Goodmark on my challenger and was very happy with them , until I tried to install the headlight bezels.

303 Mopar

Nothing is better than original.

kawahonda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 30, 2018, 04:06:16 PM
I sell lots of AMD sheetmetal, along with dynacorn and the others as well. Some of it is fairly nice, some is junk but I would use original on my own car every time.

You haven't seen my trunk lid. No way anyone is going to repair that unless they have an extra 50 hours on their hand and is a boss at sheet metal repair. Here's to hoping that the AMD lid is good stuff! It's certainly the most expensive one available! :takepicture:
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

-009-

Quote from: kawahonda on December 30, 2018, 07:28:19 PM*snip*
Here's to hoping that the AMD lid is good stuff! It's certainly the most expensive one available! :takepicture:

One can hope, I just installed an AMD rear shock crossmember and was not impressed. Maybe it's a fluke, as I've always heard good things about AMD's products.

Rdchallenger

Quote from: -009- on December 30, 2018, 08:49:56 PM
Quote from: kawahonda on December 30, 2018, 07:28:19 PM*snip*
Here's to hoping that the AMD lid is good stuff! It's certainly the most expensive one available! :takepicture:

One can hope, I just installed an AMD rear shock crossmember and was not impressed. Maybe it's a fluke, as I've always heard good things about AMD's products.

I've actually been using a lot of Dynacorn metal on my rebuild, the pieces have been going together nicely with minimum work needing done to get a "fit". I figure if a company is offering a whole shell to purchase then their stuff would have to somewhat pass the eye test.

Ifixmycarmyself

Sometime they fit sometimes not. Someone prefer this brand or that brand. The thruth is, as much we love our E-bodies, they were not collector cars worth a million dollar but cheap mass production, made in an houre with huge tolerances kind of car. Thats why a certain brand panel fits one car but not the next one. Nobody talks about it but start measuring and comparing cars and you will see you  woun't ned to use laser tools. Eyballing and keeping gaps correct will do it. So, if you have original parts, you know they at least fit your car, somewhat..