Main Menu

looking for trunk sheetmetal pictures

Started by Lilian, April 28, 2018, 12:24:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Lilian

I am rebuilding the rear of my 70 cuda and the original sheetmetal was too far gone and badly patched that I can not rely on any dimensions or how the different pieces of metal overlap with each other

I have found a couple of picts with the small reinforcement brackets of the trunk crossmember but if someone has a factory drawings how all the rear panels go I am very interested !!

for now we worked with a lower and higher centerline and it worked fine but we would like to be factory correct.

any help really appreciated

HEMICUDA

You really don't want to weld anything until the entire car is clamped or zip screwed together.  We assemble the entire body, including the doors, fenders, front/rear valances and the grille before spot welding anything.  You have to be really careful taking that much metal off without having it on a chassis jig.

jimynick

Quote from: HEMICUDA on April 30, 2018, 11:06:32 PM
You really don't want to weld anything until the entire car is clamped or zip screwed together.  We assemble the entire body, including the doors, fenders, front/rear valances and the grille before spot welding anything.  You have to be really careful taking that much metal off without having it on a chassis jig.
I think that's pretty good advice, too. Buy a box of Clecos' and the pliers, a dozen 1/8" bits and test fit 'er up. You'll also likely come to own more Vice-grips than most others as well. You can ask me how I know this if you like.  ;)
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Lilian

thanks I already have a bunch of them !!

we braced the rear of the cuda before spot welding the trunk floor and took many before and after measurements to be sure everything is square !! a friend of mine came with his cuda and we took the specs of the rear of this cuda to double check.

I did not took any pict but we are leveling everything with a 3D laser from the floor in another part of the shop where the floor was made perfectly level to have safe frame references. we have jack stands with adjustments to 1 millimeter and again everything is cross checked every time we weld a panel.

we did several cars this way and we were each time to better specs than factory specs !! and it helped a lot with gaps !!

and best of all, my guy doing the sheetmetal work has 30 years of expériences rebuilding classic and non classic cars that came torn and crashed !!

jimynick

Sounds like you're all set to go Lilian; good luck and don't forget the photos!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

usraptor

I don't have any drawings but here are various pictures I took when we were putting new sheet metal on the back of my Cuda.  Hope this helps.  Sorry not in any particular order.

usraptor

More

usraptor

And

Lilian

thanks @usraptor , it really helps. looks like yours had the same cancer than mine !! :slapme5: :drinkingbud:

usraptor

My pleasure  :twothumbsup:  Yeah, my truck and dutchman panel were shot and I had the typical rust on the lower quarters behind the wheels.  That could have been fixed but the car had been in a wreck, damaging both rear quarters, and they had done a real hack job on the repairs so I just opted to replaced them.

Lilian

same story here, rust and bad repairs from a crash !! 3 layers of metal and fiberglass in the trunk !!

now the trunk closes as it should !!