Main Menu

Odd metal floor pan plugs

Started by Mrbill426, May 21, 2020, 10:52:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am just wondering about the significance of these metal floor pan plugs; there are only two located one on each side on the rear pan.  What are they for?  :huh:

Chryco Psycho

all of them have that pair of metal plugs , why I am not sure

anlauto

The 71 Challenger I'm working on has four. I first I thought it had something to do with the heat of the exhaust, but their location makes no sense :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Odd, and they are obviously made to be removed if necessary like the shock plugs in the trunk  :dunno:

Quote from: anlauto on May 21, 2020, 11:24:25 AM
The 71 Challenger I'm working on has four. I first I thought it had something to do with the heat of the exhaust, but their location makes no sense :alan2cents:

Burdar

This question was asked recently.(not sure if it was on here or on Moparts)  Someone said that the metal plugs were used where the exhaust heat could damage the rubber plugs.  On my 73, the plugs are right above were the factory resonators sit.  The muffler has a heat shield but the resonator does not.  A rubber plug would deteriorate with the heat.  That's the best explanation I've seen and it makes sense.

71vert340

Quote from: Burdar on May 21, 2020, 12:20:34 PM
This question was asked recently.(not sure if it was on here or on Moparts)  Someone said that the metal plugs were used where the exhaust heat could damage the rubber plugs.  On my 73, the plugs are right above were the factory resonators sit.  The muffler has a heat shield but the resonator does not.  A rubber plug would deteriorate with the heat.  That's the best explanation I've seen and it makes sense.
Burdar, I believe you are correct. I removed mine last year  to clean them up and, IIRC, I looked down through the hole and I was looking at the top of the resonator. A rubber floor plug would not last there.
Terry

cuda hunter

My 74 charger has those same plugs as well.   Just sayin. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee