Main Menu

OEM fenders vs AMD

Started by nsmall, January 24, 2017, 11:21:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I have a 73 Cuda.

I have a set of AMD fenders.  I only spent $600 for them.  It seemed like a great deal so I bought them.

My OEM fenders are wavy on top and dinged up on the side so I bought the AMD fenders to save my painter time and me money. 

Should I have the OEM front fenders blasted as my media blaster recommended getting them blasted and seeing if the painter could salvage them before resorting to AMD fenders?  :help:

I'll try to post some photos of the OEM fenders.

I researched AMD fenders and they are supposed to fit well.

Thanks.

Cuda Cody

Talk to your body guy first.  Most of the aftermarket fenders will need some work to make fit.  You might be surprised just how much "some" work really is.  If you have rust free original fenders it's a good idea to see if your body guy can save them.  I had an AMD front fender that I was going to use because the original had damage.  But we found it was faster and better to just section in a patch on the original then use the AMD.  If you don't have good fenders then AMD is the best option.  But really talk to the guy that will be doing your metal work first and see what he says. :alan2cents:

anlauto

Is that your metal work pictured above Cody ? very nice :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

The guy who taught me metal work helped me on that patch.  He Wizard level when it come to metal work.  We could not get the AMD fender to fit very good so we decided it would be faster to fix the original fender instead. 

Quote from: anlauto on January 25, 2017, 07:12:31 AM

Spikedog08

WOW there is a talent that I certainly do not have!    :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

Was the patch from the AMD fender or another original fender ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

Used 2 original fenders were used.  The other fender was damaged in the front and was already "scavenged" to save a 3rd fender.  So 3 original damaged fenders ended up making 2 perfect ones.

Quote from: anlauto on January 25, 2017, 08:40:47 AM
Was the patch from the AMD fender or another original fender ?

anlauto

That's what I thought you would have had to use...I could see the center of an AMD fender lining up that nice with an original. :alan2cents:

torredcuda

Use factory panels anytime you can, aftermarket are never going to fit as good as original and back in the `70`s that wasn`t very good.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

71GranCoupe

Quote from: torredcuda on January 25, 2017, 11:48:33 AM
Use factory panels anytime you can, aftermarket are never going to fit as good as original and back in the `70`s that wasn`t very good.

Hallelujah on that statement. Bought a NOS fender from the dealer once, and it took 3 hours to drill out the headlight spot welds and then redo them. My buddy said I should have brought it back to him. Trust me, I thought about it, but had ordered a new rally hood and it took 3 times before it arrived without damage, figured it was easier to fix the factory screw up.

On see the start and end picture of what Cody did no the fender sure would have made a good how to splice in a part with pictures along the way. I have a friend who is retired from Boeing and he uses a torch on really low heat to do that kind of work, but he has been doing it for years.

Cudakiller70

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 25, 2017, 08:06:27 AM
The guy who taught me metal work helped me on that patch.  He Wizard level when it come to metal work.  We could not get the AMD fender to fit very good so we decided it would be faster to fix the original fender instead. 

Quote from: anlauto on January 25, 2017, 07:12:31 AM
Very nice work!
I have experience with metal fab and welding, but have never done body work To me this is an art. Someday I'll try it hopefully have the patience Awesome job as usual  :twothumbsup:

fc7cuda

:iagree:

Also, try not to throw away a damaged original sheet metasl if you can, someone or you may need a piece of it down the road.  Good job on your metal usage(yield) there Cody!

Cudakiller70

Quote from: fc7cuda on January 27, 2017, 05:26:50 AM

:iagree:

Also, try not to throw away a damaged original sheet metasl if you can, someone or you may need a piece of it down the road.  Good job on your metal usage(yield) there Cody!
Good point never thought of saving any original metal! You never know what you may need later.