Main Menu

OK...spill the beans...who makes the battery area patch?

Started by kawahonda, May 29, 2019, 09:25:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Sometime this year, I want to patch the area under the battery tray. Yay for battery acid in a 50 year old car.

Making the metal myself is going to be super time consuming and I'm not even sure if I can do it because on the size of the area. The entire length under the battery tray, and some vertical areas need to be patched.

This has to be super common, and I'm betting many of you conquered this somehow. As far as I can tell, NO one makes a patch area for this. It seems a waste to have to cut out an original inner fender for just rust around the battery area too....
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Burdar

Buy a replacement inner fender and just use what you need to fix the area.

anlauto

:iagree: Yup, or do it properly and replace the entire inner apron :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

I'm cheap and made my own, only took a couple hours to fix.

kawahonda

That to me is proper. Good work.

Pulling out a inner fender...which BTW is welded on, for the battery area seems wasteful. I hope to do the same goodness that you did.

Dakota

Quote from: Brads70 on May 29, 2019, 06:10:03 PM
I'm cheap and made my own, only took a couple hours to fix.

:worship:  Nice workmanship as always.

BIGSHCLUNK

I'll admit NIKKI has a real UGLY patch that was done before I got her. But well hidden so I've not had the motivation to redo....  :notsure:

kawahonda

I bet I could make it inviisible. Grind the backside, seam seal, and blend undercoat.

anlauto

Wouldn't you know it...............

Lunch of champions :banana:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

dave73

I moved my battery to the trunk and just welded the area solid  :Stirring:

kawahonda

Here's mine.  A bit worse...looks like some "jimmy rigs" to keep battery in place.

Not worrying about it now...but it's about to pass my threshold of a new inner fender.

BTW...this is a low rust car. Hard to believe a battery can do this , but it did.

Knowing me...I'd rather patch it...again..I'm at threshold. For now I will use rust conversion spray. Prime it, and deal with it later.

kawahonda

I'm going to attempt to patch this. What gauge steel is this?

For the time being I will rust treat and prime it..

kawahonda

That would be much easier to do...

Looks like I would use about 20% of the panel. Basically, where the battery sits downward.

Great winter project!