Main Menu

Paint colors help needed

Started by usraptor, January 13, 2020, 10:28:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I have both the OEM jack hook and the blue bracket that holds the inflator canister for the space saver spare tire.  Both are in poor shape paint wise and need to be stripped and repainted.  I need some suggestions as to what brand and color paints most closely match the original gray on the jack hook and the blue on the inflator bracket from those of you that have already done this.   The "T" type jack did not come with the car so I just ordered a reproduction from Tony's parts with the gray base and would like the colors to match as closely as possible.
thanks in advance  :thankyou:

JS29

@usraptor  You could try taking the base to a parts store that mix's paint. they may be able to mix up something to match. some can even mix and put it in a rattle can for you.   :alan2cents:

usraptor

JS29 good idea.  I was just wondering if anybody had found a rattle can on the shelf that matched.  If not I'll do that.  Thanks :twothumbsup:.

headejm

@usraptor Do a search on here for that topic. It has been discussed before on here.  :cheers:

usraptor

headejm that's the first thing I did. While I found posts regarding proper installation and requests for pics I didn't find anything about restoring the parts and paint colors using several different search criteria.  Apparently I'm not using the correct verbage to find the posts.  :dunno:

usraptor

I took JS29s advice and went to a paint store to try and have them match the paint.  Needed to go to three different stores before I found one that could closely match the paints and put in a spray can.  Anyway, here are some pics of the parts painted (still wet), after I first media blasted the old paint off and sprayed two coats of etch primer, and the spray cans paint codes for the grey and blue in case somebody else needs to do this also.  The blue looks like a dead on match.  I can't tell yet with the "dove grey" color.  So far it looks a little dark but that part of the shop doesn't have the best lighting and the darkness may be to the etch primer being a very dark grey.  I'll have to wait until it drys and take it outside.  However, it comes out it's going to be close enough as it will be under the space saver spare and the jack mast stand won't be very visible to compare to.   :bigthumb:

JS29

Burdar

Dove Gray used to be the go-to color but I couldn't find it when I had to redo my 73.  I ended up buying cold galvanizing spray paint, then sprayed a clear over it.  The color is close to original but not exact.  I don't know how many stores I drove to looking for that Dove Gray.  It got to the point where I just needed to get the project finished.  They turned out nice though.

headejm

@usraptor The blue looks very nice, I need to paint mine too. Thanks for the paint formula. What brand of paint is it?

Agree the gray looks dark, at least in the picture.

@Burdar I like the Gunmetal color of your Challenger. Even in the trunk!  :ohyeah:

anlauto

In the past I've used grey primer with a satin clear coat with nice results. :alan2cents: I've seen different shades of blue on the hold down clamp. What you have there closely matches the original paint on my customers AAR :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Quote from: headejm on January 17, 2020, 09:53:43 AM
@usraptor The blue looks very nice, I need to paint mine too. Thanks for the paint formula. What brand of paint is it?

Headejm, the name on the spray paint can says "GenStar"