Main Menu

Paint peeling under license plate

Started by nsmall, May 11, 2022, 10:11:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

This is the first year I had to store my car for 6 months as I live in a pretty cold place.  I filled up my gas tank with non ethanol gas and I just took the cover off and noticed the paint's peeling pretty bad.

I can correct the paint but I would prefer not to have it happen again so does anyone have any suggestions moving forward?

Should I get a different gas cap as I'm sure this isn't stock?

Thanks in advance and sorry I haven't been very active on the site. I'll try to get on here more often.

Neil

Dakota

:alan2cents: Based on the stains at about 6 o'clock position under directly under the gas cap, it looks like you've got gas dripping steadily out from under the cap, which then impacts the paint.  If it were me, I'd try a different gas cap.  I don't know enough about which model years have vented vs. non-vented gas caps, but maybe you have the wrong type.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's possible for gas vapors to be forced out around the cap if the tank isn't venting properly, with the gas vapors then condensing into a liquid and dribbling down onto the paint.   Feels like a bit of a stretch, but I'll toss the thought out there anyways to see if it triggers some better thinking from one of the other members here.

nsmall

I think you are right.  It has to be something with the venting.  I'll try a new cap and check the venting.

Does anyone know if it would it help to loosen the cap when storing it for the winter?  I've never had this problem before.  Thanks

JS29

The paint looks shiny under the peeled  area. both sides of the pealed paint area are wrinkled. If what I see is right, A blow gun will finish taking the paint off. If that is the case, the old finish was not prepared properly. some one did not sand that area.     :alan2cents:

nsmall

Maybe the area was not prepped properly, but there was gas soaked into the car cover near the license plate so somehow gas vapors are coming out of my filler neck.

Maybe I'll just use premium vs non ethanol and not fill the tank next winter when I store it?

Cuda Cody

If you have a reproduction fuel tank, then those do not have the expansion tank built in like the originals.  Reproduction tanks work great, except you can not leave them parked with fuel near full.  As the temps change the fuel will have no where to go (expand) except out the filler tube and drip down the paint. 

As for fixing it.... pretty easy.  Like others have said, make sure to prep the area good (no shinny paint) and use a good 2 part paint that will not peel when fuel touches it. 

nsmall

Thanks a lot everyone.  REALLY appreciate the help as I couldn't find much online.

I will repaint it and not fill up the tank before storing it.  Thankfully it did not hurt the precious paint job besides the tail panel.

:grouphug: