Main Menu

Paint Stripper (alert)

Started by Shane Kelley, March 17, 2020, 09:41:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

Anyone that uses AirCraft paint stripper needs to be aware that the government has made them change the formula. I wish I could say the new stuff isn't very good but that would be a understatement. It's literally useless. We applied a heavy coat to a factory painted hood and let it sit under some plastic for 4 hours and it barely even effected it. The good old stuff would wrinkle it right up. We have combed the warehouses and bought up all the old stock we could find. Which was only 4 gallons and a 2 quarts. Look for the green label on the can. That's the new garbage. Below in the pics. Top one is original formula and the lower 2 are the new ones to avoid. I'm not sure what we are going to do in the future when needing to strip paint. Don't waste your money on the green label stuff.

Burdar

This happened awhile ago.  Probably 2 years or more.

I recently bought some Citristrip from Menards to strip off the paint from some engine parts.  It worked fine.  Not sure how it would work on catalyzed paint.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Burdar on March 17, 2020, 10:15:13 AM
This happened awhile ago.  Probably 2 years or more.

I recently bought some Citristrip from Menards to strip off the paint from some engine parts.  It worked fine.  Not sure how it would work on catalyzed paint.

That's what I heard. It's amazing that we are just now out of the old. You would think a business that deals with this would has heard something earlier. Nope
I would have been buying up all the old by the case had I known. 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Well i guess it's 40 grit sandpaper on an 8"DA, and a lot of dust.  :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Holy smokes.  Those prices are insane!

Rich G.

Captain Lee use to have a good stripper, that's gone too!

1 Wild R/T

Good stuff has been un-available in California for over ten years.... I use to pick some up in Reno while there for work....

76orangewagon

Time to invest in Dustless blasting .... you'll stay busy.

chargerdon

soundcontrol

I bought one that was supposed to be really good, it does crumble up the paint, but my car seems to have a lot of clear on it, and it dosen't take the layer under. I can strip it completely if I apply/scrape it 3-4 times. I also tried to heat it up to the paint bubbles, then scrape, that worked a lot better, but I guess thats not a good idea on large surfaces, I tested on quarter edge. Not gonna be easy to get doors, fenders and the hood clean.

JS29

Open it up with 40-grit first.    :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: JS29 on March 17, 2020, 03:50:13 PM
Open it up with 40-grit first.    :alan2cents:

That's always key.
With this new stuff it doesn't matter. I think thinner would be more aggressive.