Main Menu

Painting Chrome Trim

Started by tparker, June 19, 2018, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

A lot of the chrome trim has areas that are blacked out, including the taillights, shifter face plate, and other stuff. Mine is flaking off and needs to be repainted. Is there any tips to painting over chrome? I would think it would need to be scuffed, but the chrome underneath the black is pretty shinny.

Also any tips on painting the grill and I think its called the finishing panel (The between the trunk lid and lights). I found a site that apparently has the special paint for this.

Thanks
Tom

1 Wild R/T

Clean the chrome with grease & wax remover then prime with self etching primer before paint...

tparker

Thanks,
I'll give that a shot. Hopefully it will come out ok.I basically did this with the inside door plaque and it seemed to work out ok. But the tail lights and other stuff will be more visible and wanted to make sure they were done right.

Rich G.

I'd scuff it with a red scotch brite pad after you wipe it down before you prime it.

Burdar

Most of the trim is stainless.  Some is anodized aluminum.  What chrome pieces are you trying to paint?

Timbbuc2

Quote from: tparker on June 19, 2018, 03:58:28 PM
A lot of the chrome trim has areas that are blacked out, including the taillights, shifter face plate, and other stuff. Mine is flaking off and needs to be repainted. Is there any tips to painting over chrome? I would think it would need to be scuffed, but the chrome underneath the black is pretty shinny.

Also any tips on painting the grill and I think its called the finishing panel (The between the trunk lid and lights). I found a site that apparently has the special paint for this.

Thanks
Tom
I have a set of the tail light trim rings that are pitted, so I am going to try powder coating to see how that works
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

The key to painting chrome is to give it a mechanical bite.  Scuff really good with red scotch brite (chrome is hard to scuff), then clean the chrome with grease & wax remover and prime with a 2 part epoxy.  After that you can paint it with pretty much anything and it will hold up pretty dang good.

tparker

@Burdar There are several pieces of chrome that have black accents. The rear tail lights, the panel on the doors, I beleive the shifter, and a few others. The rear finishing panel and front grill too, however These don't seem to be as smooth shiny chrome.

@Cuda Cody I was thinking the same about the mechanical adhesion. What confused me was the chrome underneath is in perfect shape and not scuffed. However, that is probably why it's coming off. LOL

Tom

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: tparker on June 21, 2018, 02:38:04 PM
@Burdar There are several pieces of chrome that have black accents. The rear tail lights, the panel on the doors, I beleive the shifter, and a few others. The rear finishing panel and front grill too, however These don't seem to be as smooth shiny chrome.

@Cuda Cody I was thinking the same about the mechanical adhesion. What confused me was the chrome underneath is in perfect shape and not scuffed. However, that is probably why it's coming off. LOL

Tom

Originally they did use primer, never mind about etch primer.....   And still there's evidence of the paint 47 years later.....