Main Menu

Where does the Chrome vinyl trim surround start>?

Started by 72and86, September 21, 2022, 09:35:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

1970 Coupe w/vinyl top.
When I got the car someone put a screw right into the vinyl top chrome trim that surrounds the bottom vinyl on the sail panels and trunk extension panel. Im replacing the vinyl top now but where and how does the chrome trim attack correctly? I know clips hold the middle. But, How does the trim tip start (below the end of the drip rails).
This photo shows the rear sail panel on the drivers side. Left is front of the car. Is this factory with the rivets? Thx

anlauto

The end of the trim almost touches the drip rail molding, maybe an 1/8" gap ? and the bottom of both pieces should line up

Looks like someone pop riveted your quarter panels on....that is not factory. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

I replaced my roof and filler panel so I had to re drill the holes. I have taken photos of various challengers and noticed some had slightly different gap spacing between the window trim and the wrap around trim. I'll check to see if I can find those pics.

MoparLeo

As Alan said, it looks like the quarter panels are at least just pop riveted on the top. You should do a close inspection of the underside of the car. There may be other poor repairs that could be structural and therefore very unsafe.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

:iagree: Yeah, there should be a good amount of lead in that area. Not sure what would have been pop riveted. Seems odd.

tedsweet

MoparLeo

After you fix/replace the quarter panel(s). Here is some top hole info.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

72and86

tparker

I would add that besides following the dimensions, you test fit to make sure the ends of the trim end up exactly where want them. A slight deviation will show up where that trim  meets up with the drip rail trim.