Main Menu

Pinch weld paint

Started by muscleonly, November 04, 2019, 12:30:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

muscleonly

Does anybody have pictures of how the pinch weld is painted black on 1970 Challenger T/A

anlauto

There was a guy that put a reference photo CD together of a low mile Yellow T/A...maybe someone has those pictures on their PC they can share ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

A lot of people overlook this blackout when they restore a car  :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

muscleonly

Yes mines been overlooked for 20 years!

Burdar

You'll find pictures of it by just Googling it.  I know I've seen the factory detail posted before.  Maybe some here has it?  I THINK both sprayed and brushed is accepted.  I sprayed mine.  Barry Washington is the one who had the T/A CD.  I just saw a picture of that car when I Googled it.  The blackout looks brushed on.  I remember Dave Walden sprayed the blackout on his 70 R/T.  The floor pans got black overspray from it.

Cuda Cody

That 173 mile T/A had the dealer paint yellow on a bunch of stuff on the bottom of it.  Here's the factory spec sheet on it.

https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Black_Out_Sill_Pillar.pdf

muscleonly

Great that factory spec sheet shows me where it should go Thank You very much

6Pack70

A little overspray is permissible according to the factory engineering drawing.   I gave mine what I though would be permissible. 

6Pack70

Couple more pics

muscleonly

And would that be matte black paint?

6Pack70

SEM Trim Black.  I buy it by the quart and reduce it with Laquer thinner and spray it using a Sata Minijet gun. Low pressure... like 18 psi.  I used the same application for my blackout areas on the core support up front too.

6Pack70

Couple pics

Marty

Interesting. I always wondered if Crysler painted the rocker panel pinch welds. I always check re-paints and I don't ever recall ever seeing one blacked out. I paint them regardless if it was original or not. It just cleans up the profile of the car.

anlauto

Cuda Cody