Started by nsmall, February 27, 2017, 05:38:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

What are these?

Thanks

Cuda Cody

Yup.  Factory pinch welds are the drains.   :yes:

Roadman

I found it interesting that they are angled so as to take advantage of the vacuum created as the car moves thru the air helps to pull out water/moisture. Not so on GM, Ford, etc.     :unitedstates:

jimynick

The rocket scientists who built my car Mark, put a spot weld right in the middle of one of those drains. God only knows how much squeezing that took, but it goes right along with the rt trunk floor extension that they installed 3/4" (measured and photographed) that they installed lower than the main floor pan. I figure it has to be a Friday car, because they had to be drunk rather than hungover to screw it up that much.  :unbelievable:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

screamindriver

So far your car looks to be in wonderful shape I think you're overthinking how hard it would be for you to grab the bull by the horns and just do it... :haha:... Yes, those are factory drain holes as stated...You want to see them, if you didn't that would mean somebody "restored" your rockers and forgot to add them... :)

soundcontrol

Mine does not have those drains, in the back. Lower part of my quarters are replaced and I guess by a brand that did not have the drains. Maybe I can heat up a part and push a rod thru and make those? Gonna repaint the car anyways.
And since it's a convertible, there will be lots of water coming down there.

Cuda Cody

That much heat could warp your panel.  Mass heat is the enemy to sheet metal.  If you're going to repaint, just have your metal guy cut and weld in a couple drain holes.

anlauto

Yup...I had a convertible that the rear carpet used to always get wet when I washed it....couldn't figure it out....It rained really heavy for a couple of days and the rear floor mats were practically floating. I remove the rear interior panels and found that area of the quarter FULL of water....
I ended up butchering holes at the bottom and just painting everything black...this was about 25+ years ago...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

QuoteMine does not have those drains, in the back. Lower part of my quarters are replaced and I guess by a brand that did not have the drains. Maybe I can heat up a part and push a rod thru and make those? Gonna repaint the car anyways.

On my Dart convertible, there is a trough all the way around the back for water to collect in.  The trough drains right down onto the quarter-to-rocker attachment point.  I assume E-bodies are similar.  There will definitely be a lot of water that needs to drain out of that area.  If you don't have drains there, you're going to be in trouble! 

It might not be the end of the world if you mess up the paint on the pinch weld by making a drain.  The pinch weld should be blacked out anyway.  You can just hit the area with black paint after the modification...if you're careful.

Burdar

QuoteI think you're overthinking how hard it would be for you to grab the bull by the horns and just do it

:iagree:  The underside of that car looks super clean!  I would have killed to have a clean starting point like that.  Obviously, it's scary when you haven't done something before.  Once you get into it I think everything will all come into place.

soundcontrol

Quote from: Burdar on March 04, 2017, 09:45:48 AM
QuoteMine does not have those drains, in the back. Lower part of my quarters are replaced and I guess by a brand that did not have the drains. Maybe I can heat up a part and push a rod thru and make those? Gonna repaint the car anyways.

On my Dart convertible, there is a trough all the way around the back for water to collect in.  The trough drains right down onto the quarter-to-rocker attachment point.  I assume E-bodies are similar.  There will definitely be a lot of water that needs to drain out of that area.  If you don't have drains there, you're going to be in trouble! 

It might not be the end of the world if you mess up the paint on the pinch weld by making a drain.  The pinch weld should be blacked out anyway.  You can just hit the area with black paint after the modification...if you're careful.

Yes, it must be this one in the picture. Gotta make sure its not rusted anywhere. Overall my car was in very good shape around the top area. I guess rust protection is super important where all the water is supposed to go. Wonder if there was any protection at all from the factory?

nsmall

Yes....I overthink mostly everything.  I still have a few items to take care before I dive in.

The other side looks dinged up.  I'll paint the pinch welds black, imperfections will be less obvious.

Thanks