Main Menu

Pre Paint and Body Check List

Started by Chaos-N-Mayhem, September 23, 2019, 01:25:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chaos-N-Mayhem

So I am very excited that I think I found the right guy to do the body and paint on my 70 Challenger conv. He is a local guy who was recommended to me by a few folks. He is active in the Mopar club out here and started his own full time body/paint biz out of his home shop. He has done a bunch of Mopars including several recent Challengers and had a very genuine personality.

In preparation for body and paint I am trying to come up with a list of parts he might need to do the work. So anything that might need holes drilled in the body before the paint is applied is what I am thinking of and looking for advice on. I just want to make sure I am prepared and respect his time.

anlauto

Here's my "body Shop list" for things that get painted body colour on a 70 Challenger:
   Entire Shell
   Left Door
   Right Door
   Left Fender
   Right Fender
   Trunk Lid
   Trunk Lid Latch
   Front Valance
   Rear Valance
   Hood
   Hood Latch Brace & Support
   Hood Scoop Inserts
   (4) Door Hinges
   (2) Hood Hinges
   Battery Tray
   Battery Tray Brace
   Fender Tag
Painted Mirrors
   All Bolts

I make sure all these parts have been media blasted or chemically stripped before I bring them to the body shop.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I should mention, it will be converted to a shaker, 4 speed car. so this got me also thinking about things needing to be welded on like the 4 speed bracket.

anlauto

Are you getting rid of the AC firewall or retaining the factory AC ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rich G.

You'll need the 4 speed floor hump if it was an automatic .

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Yes, AC firewall. Manual trans hump has been added. Here is a couple I thought of. Need mirrors to be added to new door skins so will require new holes. Need wheel opening moldings to drill holes. Wondering how convertible belt molding is attached.

anlauto

Are you adding the belt moldings to the tops of the doors or just the moldings around the convertible top area ?

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I was talking about around the boot well area, but since you mentioned it I'm trying to think if I can ever recall seeing them around the doors?

anlauto

Boot well area side trim is screwed on from underneath, the back piece clips on and the end caps screw on from the top. The holes for the side pieces should already be in your car, but will have to be replaced in new full quarters are installed :alan2cents:

anlauto

If you add the belt moldings to the tops of the doors, then the longer quarter panel extension pieces also have nuts on them from the bottom.

Rich G.

Definitely fit the wheel lip moldings before you paint. They almost never fit without some shrinking and stretching. 

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on September 24, 2019, 09:13:00 AM
Definitely fit the wheel lip moldings before you paint. They almost never fit without some shrinking and stretching.

Challenger's aren't as bad as Cuda's  :alan2cents:

Rich G.

True, the OER ones went right on my Challenger, The Cuda ones were terrible but they have gotten better. Still don't fit right on.

Chaos-N-Mayhem

Alan any chance you a pic of what you are referring to?