Main Menu

Rear deck filler fit issues

Started by Cbridgewater, June 22, 2019, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cbridgewater

Having trouble getting my AMD rear deck filler to fit right on my 72 challenger. Sits flush with the quarter on the trunk gutter, sits high in the middle, and low at the window channel. Suggestions?

Cuda Cody

Cbridgewater

1 Wild R/T

You need to "adjust" the height along the seam as you weld it in place...  How's the width? The older repo panels was nearly 1/4" to wide & if you put it in without fixing it the trunk gap would be huge...

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Test fit everything before welding in place.  Most of the dutchman panels (the slim panel between the lower rear window and deck lid) will need adjusting.  You can use a shrinker / stretcher to adjust the curve at the ends so it fits better.  If you can, install the deck lid with spring tension and really spend time making sure everything lines up before you weld anything in.  :alan2cents:

Cbridgewater

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 23, 2019, 08:41:31 AM
You need to "adjust" the height along the seam as you weld it in place...  How's the width? The older repo panels was nearly 1/4" to wide & if you put it in without fixing it the trunk gap would be huge...

The width is good, maybe 1/16th" gap each side.

Cbridgewater

Also, what to do about this gap here? Corner of the window channel.

1 Wild R/T

Since the new panel appears to be short, you get to weld in a little metal...

Cbridgewater

So, on another site I received two possible solutions to the curvature issue and wanted to see what you all thought.

1. Use a metal shrinker/stretcher to adjust the curvature of the panel where it will be welded to the quarter.

2. Cut a relief slot/slots in the side, with a dremel cut off wheel or something, push it down and weld it back up (from the inside, with a series of tacks

Thoughts?

Cbridgewater

No thoughts to the previous post?

Cuda Cody

Using a metal shrinker/stretcher to adjust the curvature of the panel where it will be welded to the quarter is almost a for sure.  The couple times I've had to replace the dutchman (filler panel) I've always had to adjust the curve of the replacement panel to make it fit perfectly.

Mopar5

I wish your pictures were better my rear deck panel from AMD fit really well the only thing I added I tigged in studs for the molding

Cbridgewater

Ok so I think I got it figured out! The reason it's high is due to what I believe is a stamping issue. If you look at the picture below, you can see that the 90 bend at the flange is high in about a 2 inch section where the bend was not very crisp. Going to lightly hammer it to tighten it up. What ya think?

Mopar5

Just work it slowly bit by bit.

Cuda Cody

This is where a shrinker / stretcher would come in handy.