Main Menu

71 Challenger Conv Rear Deck Lid Torsion Bars install

Started by CudaHead, May 30, 2022, 10:12:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaHead

I have a 71 Challenger Convertible.
I'm having problems getting the deck lid hinge torsion bars on.
On the passenger side, the bar was rubbing on the panel for the torsion bar.
I pulled the bar a little for clarence and the bar blew out with a bang and the deck lid fell on my head. It's much heavier that you think.
I ordered new sliders, but I don't think the driver's side had one. I made sure I got the 71 sliders.
I tried to reinstall the bar but have had no luck.
I researched the procedure and any videos with very little luck. The Service Manual had some information, but I need more.
Is there anyone out there than give me some advice?

anlauto

Kind of hard to describe, do these pictures help ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaHead

Those pictures are going to help. Thank You.

Is that from a 1971?
I'm thinking the 1970 was different than the 71-74.

CudaHead

The Drivers's side looks the same.
The Middle looks the same.
The passenger side is where I'm having problems.

anlauto

The pictures I posted are 1971, but a hardtop....I don't have the 71 convertible in my shop right now....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

ZippyZoo

@CudaHead Look closely at Alan's picture of the passenger side torsion bar support. In your picture, the area that supports the bar appears missing or damaged. Mine ripped out when I was rear ended. Maybe sometime damaged yours as well???

anlauto

These are 71 Convertible

CudaHead

Thanks for the pictures.
It appears that I need to move the bar down under the hinge on the passenger side.
I have been trying to do that, but it seems i never get to the right location.

CudaHead

I got the bar down to the location seen in your pictures with slider on the bar. It will not stay there.
Something is just not right.

anlauto

Yes, the bar goes no where near the driver's side hinge. That hinge just floats there, if you took the deck lid off only the passenger side hinge stays open, the other falls closed...in 1971-74

CudaHead

Thanks for the info.
I looked and the driver's side hinge is not touching the bar.
Are suggesting that I need to take the deck lid off and it would be able to get the passenger side to work. Then put the lid back on?

anlauto

NO, you shouldn't have to take the deck lid off. The rod goes in from the passenger side. You have to fish it over the PS hinge, into the hole, then over to the DS...once you hook the rod in the proper "hooks" on each side, at the top of the slots. then worry about pulling it down to the tension hole(s)

CudaHead

Fixed:
Following anlauto's advice,
I removed the bar tension on the driver side.
I then looked at the bar on the passenger's side and it was out of the hook.
I got the bar in the hook.
I set the bar tension on the driver's side.
It worked fine and was easy to do.

Thanks to all.

anlauto

Glad it worked out for you, that's why we all here :grouphug: