Main Menu

roof front / windshield channel

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 27, 2020, 09:41:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

A good PDR (paintless dent repair) guy should be able to get all those dents out for you.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

GoMangoBoys

Last week I ordered a new roof skin from Summit, I will pick it up there in a couple weeks.  Today,  I made sure that I could not change my mind.

JS29

gzig5

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on April 08, 2020, 10:45:19 AM
  Today,  I made sure that I could not change my mind.
For that you need to crumple and fold the piece you cut out.  The bridge may be smoking but it isn't on fire yet..... :D

hanksemenec

I am running into the same dilemma. The front and rear window channels are so rusted, there are a few metal strands holding the roof on. A pillars are gone also. Passenger quarter panel was spliced in after an accident and there is not much left of the sail panel section. Just Bondo, silicone and gum wrappers. The gap has been fiber glassed over. Currently the deck filler is removed and speaker tray rotted away. If I go the route of removing the roof, what sections of the roof frame do I need to support? Is the a good guide on roof skin replacement?

70 Challenger Lover

To me, it appears you need a full quarter rather than a roof skin. They meet halfway up the C pillar.

Two different cars but you get the idea.

hanksemenec

I need both, roof skin and quarter, quarter was a crap job. The roof ski has only sides attached to the rest of the car. Window channels are totally gone. Would it be correct to start with the roof skin and then work on the quarter? I can support the car under the frame rails and take the load off to minimize distortion in the body.

70 Challenger Lover

If you're doing both, trim the roof back and do the quarters first. The roof overlaps the quarters so it might be a little easier.

hanksemenec

Here is the roof.

70 Challenger Lover

Wow, that's really bad! I like your idea of not ripping it all off at once to keep a little structural strength. I still think I'd do the quarts, then roof. I can't help but think there is other areas that will need attention like the Dutchman panel behind the rear window and the wheel houses. If that is the case, plan it all out. I'm doing the entire rear section of my car now and there are a lot of pieces to think out.

jimynick

You boys are into 'er pretty good. I'd support the hulk as best as possible, since if you cut off the roof, there isn't much left to keep the old gal from developing terminal sag. I'd cut the roof off in sections that allowed me to work on the inner bracing and once that'd been done, then cut the rest off. A few braces here and there are a good idea too. I used 3/4" angle iron and it worked perfectly. Measure this thing- in three dimensions- about 6 times and write down the measurements and take about 200 photos as well, from every conceivable angle. You can thank me later.  A box of Clecos and their pliers will be your friends here, as you want to basically fit all the tin together and achieve your gaps before welding it all up. It's a big jig saw puzzle made out of steel, but contrary to that jig saw puzzle, you can alter the pieces of this one to make it fit. Patience, as ever, is a sterling virtue here and the other old saw- haste makes waste, HAD to be written by someone working on their own rusty old Mopar! You can do this, take your time, look, and I mean really look at it as you piece it back togethre and you'll have many less problems than if you just start welding one piece to another. Good luck!  :cheers:
PS- start a vice-grip buying fund, unless you're already well equipped with them!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

hanksemenec

OK, parts question. Did anyone use Goodmark quarter panels and roof?

70 Challenger Lover

I used a Dynacorn and was happy. Some have said Goodmark is an even better brand but I don't really know.

GoMangoBoys

I have used all AMD including the roof skin.  Been very happy with the quality and the fit.  Only complaint was that the roof skin was dented in 2 places when I took it out of the box.  Poorly packaged.   I made the decision to pound on the debts and use it rather than returning it.  I figured if the next one was packaged the same way, it might be dented too.

JS29