Main Menu

DIY front/rear windshield installation?

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, July 06, 2017, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ec_co

:iagree:  paint the window area!! it is coming together VERY nicely! love the color
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

GoodysGotaCuda

Thanks!

I have some SEM trim black that I will shoot, that's what my body man recommended. The tape is just for the trim I was messing with while installing the clips. Not for paint.

Should I paint the rear pinch weld too?

One last question. I have three screw holes on the left side and putting the screw in the middle of the clip looks wrong. What am I missing? The kit of clips that I bought are all identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Cuda Cody

2 types of clips.  The 1970 screw in and the 1971 and up use a pin.  It looks like there might be a pin in yours up in the corner?  :notsure:  It looks like your clip is to low.  Use a piece of trim and clip it in (carefully) so you can see where the clips need to be screwed in at.  Here's a photo of the clips before blackout so you can see about where they go.  Click to enlarge photo.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 11, 2017, 06:50:08 AM
2 types of clips.  The 1970 screw in and the 1971 and up use a pin.  It looks like there might be a pin in yours up in the corner?  :notsure:  It looks like your clip is to low.  Use a piece of trim and clip it in (carefully) so you can see where the clips need to be screwed in at.  Here's a photo of the clips before blackout so you can see about where they go.  Click to enlarge photo.

My front windshield has all posts and two screw in clips in the corner.

My rear windshield has all posts and three screw in clips on the left side. [shown]

All posts/screws appear factory.

It looks like I need a mixture of clips. I ordered some 1970 screw clips for the five spots that I need them. Hopefully that solves the issue.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Claudia

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on July 06, 2017, 01:52:05 PM
I have new glass and new seal ropes to install my front and back glass.

Should I DIY this or have someone come and install it? It seems straight forward, but I may be underestimating how hard it is to get a good fit and seal.

My front glass was already installed in my car when I bought it so I only have experience with the rear window.
I installed all of my trim clips first of which I also had a mixture of both post type and screw type trim clips on my '71.
I did not use any rope type seals on my rear window (maybe I should have :notsure:).

1) I started by test fitting the glass into the opening and centered it up.
2) I then placed markers on both the body and the glass so that I could line it back up quickly when installing.
3) Next was the height measurement which was not that fun but I consider it a necessity to ensure that the glass is sitting at the proper height so that when you install the trim it does not sit too low or too high.  Again, marking the low and high spots.
4) Next, I cleaned the window lip as well as the glass.
5) Applied the sealant and had a helper assist with setting the glass down into the opening.
6) I gave the glass a few light slaps around the outer edges to ensure that it was seated into the sealant and then let it cure.
7) Came back later and trimmed away the excess sealant that oozed out.

Overall . . . pretty easy.

headejm

I like to use this as reference.

GoodysGotaCuda

Thank you all for the feedback. I ended up paying for the install and am on the fence on if it was worth it or not.

I did watch and learn, I'll be ready for next time!

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

headejm

FYI...Your Cuda looks BA. Very sharp!  :1place:

RUNCHARGER

That looks great: You have it sitting perfect and the wheels look to fit perfectly as well.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

So my ACC windshield sporadically cracked the other day, so I get the opportunity to do this again. This time I will not be paying for it, as the mobile guy that installed it before managed to make about an 1/8" gap in the upper right corner that leaked very badly. I can screw it up that bad for $0 :deadhorse:

Anyway, is there anything that locates the front windshield vertically in the channel? The rear has spacer blocks, but I am not aware of anything similar on the front?

Also, I have the post-style trim clips on the front. Even with new clips they do not like to stay on the posts, I can pop on the trim and it's very probably that the clip will just pop off of the post. Is there a better clip out there?
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

I make spacer blocks for the front, you can make them out of dried urethane or rubber belting, anything that won't hurt the glass. The guy might have chipped an edge installing the windshield and it took a while to break.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

Butyl tape I believe is the best way to do it and heck it's original!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

JS29

the glass guy should be warrantying his work because it leaked!!!   :verymad:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: JS29 on October 09, 2017, 12:26:54 PM
the glass guy should be warrantying his work because it leaked!!!   :verymad:

One of two things I paid for labor on this car and it was poor work. I'm better off not having him touch the car again.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs