Main Menu

RT Hood Scoop Colors

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, July 22, 2019, 01:58:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Hi all. Planning to sandblast and paint my RT hood over the next couple days but unclear on what is actually correct for the scoops. My hood came off a 71 and it appears to have been repainted a couple times so it's hard to gauge what it should be. It's going on my 70 and I know there is a difference between the two years but it's the only hood I have so it will have to do.

I know the exterior portion of the scoops are supposed to be body color but what about the inside area seen in the engine compartment when the hood is open? In looking at internet photos, I see some are body color while others appear to be grey or silver?

Also, the metal block off plates in my scoops are red but almost all the pictures I see online show black inserts. What is correct?

Thanks,

Mike

anlauto

The metal block off plates were black for sure.
There was a big debate about this on Mofarts years ago when Dave Waldon was restoring his white Challenger. I believe the result was that the scoops were in the hood while the car was painted if I remember correct so they should be body colour as well. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

:iagree:  There should be bare primer on the hood where the scoops masked the metal & bare primer on the scoops where the hood masked the scoop...  Personally I paint all of it cause no one is gonna judge my cars as OE & I prefer to seal everything to prevent rust....

6bblgt

:iagree:

:alan2cents: tread very carefully sandblasting a hood  :yes:

js27

Not sure if this helps or not. My 70 R/T was a rust free CA. Car with one scratch and shoot green paint job. This is what I found on disassembly. EV2 is the original color.
JS27

70 Challenger Lover

I plan to remove the scoop assemblies before I sandblast and paint everything separate. What I am not clear about is what the scoops look like from the underside when you open the hood and look up at them on the underside of the hood. There aren't many internet photos of the underside of hoods of restored cars. It sounds like the whole scoop will be painted body color everywhere before putting the black block off plates back in.