Main Menu

Seam Sealant

Started by wldgtx, September 25, 2017, 11:27:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

I bought this this stuff on Ebay because they have some pretty good pricing on a double roll kit.  Just look up "automotive sound deadener" and you will see this type of stuff in various sizes.

RUNCHARGER

Similar stuff I bought from the local autobody supply. It was made by Proform.
Sheldon

Jocigar

Since this was brought to the top, is it better to go with sound material on floor or use an ACC mass backed carpet ?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Jocigar on March 27, 2020, 01:26:19 PM
Since this was brought to the top, is it better to go with sound material on floor or use an ACC mass backed carpet ?
I recommend both.  :alan2cents:

Jocigar

Thanks for reply,   
Is mass backed difficult to get under panels and door sills? 
For sound material do you use 3/8" thick ?  I hadn't thought of roof until I saw runchargers picture, tuck some inside doors also?
Anything faux pas with using sound material on factory type resto ?     

RUNCHARGER

I did the doors, that was the biggest improvement in the whole deal. I don't mind engine sound and the Challengers had no A/C anyway. The mass back has to be trimmed away from the door sills if it goes that far.
Sheldon

Shane Kelley

I used some adhesive backed hood liner on the roof so it would give me some good thermal insulation as well as sound control. I think it was 3/4 inch. The stuff on the floors is around 1/8-3/16 thick. Takes the tin can effect out of the panels and makes everything feel more solid. For best results you really want to spend some time working it into all the grooves and make sure every square inch is making solid contact. I doubled up in the muffler location.