Main Menu

Thread Sealant With Teflon VS RTV

Started by Daveh, August 19, 2020, 08:05:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

I have a question.  It seems like in the Mopar hobby many use thread sealant VS some type of RTV for the timing cover, water pump bolts and heads for headers and exhaust manifolds that go into the water jacket.  Why is that?  Coming from previous Chevy and Ford rebuilds that was never a question.  It was always RTV and thread sealant was never a thought.  Just curious.  Thanks

Rich G.

I'd say because Mopar bolts go through water jackets so a thread sealer would be better. You're sealing the threads not a flat surface.

JonH

Thread sealer (ie teflon style paste) is the product most used in sealing plumbing type fittings. Also used extensively in sealing black iron pipe used in natural gas line installation. It is way better for sealing liquids than RTV. I have always used it in these situations. RTV was never meant to be used this way... :alan2cents:

headejm

I recommend using a high temp thread sealer, especially on the manifold studs that go into the water jacket.  :alan2cents:

Katfish

The worry with RTV, is it can break off and get in the cooling passages. 
This would be the RTV that is pushed into the water jacket and then dries.
We all know how RTV dries to a rubbery strand.

Claudia

:iagree: Both will seal but the preference for myself comes from the worry that the unused RTV that gets pushed inside once assembled and dried, could possibly break off or if you have to undo what you used the RTV on and the unused, dried up parts break off into a place that is non-accessible without a time consuming rebuild.   :alan2cents:

MOPAR MITCH

RTV silicone is the most mis-used chemical in the automotive rebuilding industry!  Clogs thermostats, water passages, oil passages.  It should only be used a s small filler of gap at intersecting corners (intakes, oil pans)... just a small dab as needed.  also, it requires 24 hours to properly cure before running an engine.

Daveh

Ok thanks for all of the comments I'll stick with the thread sealant.