Main Menu

Side mirror grommets

Started by fireguyfire, March 24, 2020, 05:37:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Prepping my bare metal doors for a repaint, and today I was straightening out some wrinkles under where my mirrors mount; my car has a remote mirror on the drivers side, and a manual on the passenger.
The 2 metal anchors (which look almost like metal drywall anchors) are in ok shape, however 1 rotated freely which will suck when trying to tighten in the mirror screw; it would also be great to remove them to make the minor dent repairs in that area easier.

Are these metal mirror screw anchors available for purchase out there? If so, what are they called?

fireguyfire

Thanks Brad; I guess I'm going to be heading to princess auto!

Brads70

Quote from: fireguyfire on March 24, 2020, 05:58:01 PM
Thanks Brad; I guess I'm going to be heading to princess auto!

Glad to help, that's where I ended up when I did mine. ( Princess Auto)  I then went to lowes
( I think? It was 10 years ago) and bought stainless screws and had to turn the heads down slightly to fit the mirror  10-24 I think but not sure?

GoMangoBoys

I have the exact same problem.  This also helps me.  One additional question that I have is... How do I remove the old nutsert that is bad?  Drill it out?  Seem like it might be easy to mess up.
Thanks

Brads70

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on March 24, 2020, 06:54:34 PM
I have the exact same problem.  This also helps me.  One additional question that I have is... How do I remove the old nutsert that is bad?  Drill it out?  Seem like it might be easy to mess up.
Thanks

I think I would try grinding it off as to not get it spinning and making the hole any bigger?

Same tool just cheaper for you! LOL
https://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html?_br_psugg_q=threaded+insert

Chryco Psycho

I got a nutsert tool @ Triad fasteners 11st & 42 ave SE

JS29

:iagree: With all of the above.  :slapme5:

Daveh

Get the nutserts with the knurls on the end they grab the steel better and dig in moving less.  That's what I do.

I've also heard some people on the board putting a little RTV on them also.  Never did that though.  Good luck