Main Menu

Side mirror identification

Started by Shoooter, January 25, 2019, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

I bought this mirror under the impression it was a for a 70 challenger. Didnt look too close until it showed up, obviously it is wrong. Seller says it's off a 70 challenger. I am correct in saying it isnt? Just double checking. Can the bottom mount be changed to a ebody one? If so anyone have one forsale.

70 Challenger Lover

The base is definitely not e body. The e body bases have two visible screw holes that go into the door from the top. The length of the base and the distance between the screw holes can vary so not sure what your mirror came off of. The upper portion of the mirror looks pretty close though. Not sure if the bases can be easily switched out or not. I would pick up the entire unit rather than mixing and matching. I have found that some vary slightly in shape and edge crispness. I have picked up nice used ones on eBay really cheap.

anlauto

Frist off....1970 E body mirrors are one year only. If you're working on your 1971 you need 1971-74 mirrors. :alan2cents:

Secondly that thing looks like Aspen/Volare or something of that nature...they didn't start using studs to mount them until much later  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

Didn't that goofy mirror come to you from one of the members on this site?   :thumbdown:
Keep yer foot in it

Shoooter

Yes it is from a member.  I am working on my 71 cuda, but this was for a friends 70 challenger who doesn't use the internet. If it was a 71-74 It would have went on my car. I'll keep looking for a passe ger side one for my 71. I guess I will just toss this junk in the corner

ToxicWolf

Remember that the passenger side on a 70 challenger is smaller than the drivers side.  When I put them on my 70 Challenger I thought there was something wrong with them in the beginning because they were so different.  :bricks:

BIGSHCLUNK

anlauto

Quote from: ToxicWolf on January 26, 2019, 12:40:19 PM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 26, 2019, 11:34:43 AM
:iagree:  70 has some quirky stuff

Yes it does  :haha:

It's kinda funny when you think about it....They spend all the money and time tooling up a new part for the new 1970 model....then toss all that in the trash and make all new parts again for the 71 model....I can see the 71 style being more simplified and a little larger, but it seems like a huge waste of money...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Since there is lots hopefully I can find one haha

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: ToxicWolf on January 26, 2019, 11:07:04 AM
Remember that the passenger side on a 70 challenger is smaller than the drivers side.  When I put them on my 70 Challenger I thought there was something wrong with them in the beginning because they were so different.  :bricks:

My R/T came to me with a 71 mirror on it and since it already looked nice for a car that was only gonna be a driver, I decided to get the matching 71 mirror for the passenger side. I'm glad I did because recently I compared the correct 70 mirror from my other 70 Challenger and I noticed that the body and mirror itself from the 70 was actually a little smaller than the 71, not just the base. I definitely prefer the larger 71 style and the mounting holes all match up.

RUNCHARGER

The 70 right mirrors had a few issues. Maybe Chrysler decided to fix those issues for 71 but they still used them on A-bodies.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

It is very  odd that they tooled everything new for 70 & retooled so much for the 71 often to make it worse .
the only part that sort of made sense was the side lights as they used the same light on almost every Mopar 72 & up which made sense in stocking less parts but they already had far nicer side lights on all of the cars in 70-71

70 Challenger Lover

I'm sure it was about money for the side lights. The 72 up style has to be a lot cheaper to produce.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 26, 2019, 09:29:03 PM
It is very  odd that they tooled everything new for 70 & retooled so much for the 71 often to make it worse .
the only part that sort of made sense was the side lights as they used the same light on almost every Mopar 72 & up which made sense in stocking less parts but they already had far nicer side lights on all of the cars in 70-71

They did the same on the b-body models between '68 and '69.