Main Menu

Stupid Fender Cover Question

Started by Daveh, March 28, 2018, 06:54:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I bought 2 fender covers like the ones in the prize shop.  They are really nice and grip the fender and tools nicely.  The issue that I'm having is that when I remove the cover I get these little dimples on the fender that I have to wipe off immediately or they will be harder to get off the next day.  I've never had the cover on for more than and hour so it's not from being on there for a long time.

I'm sure it's just the rubber residue but how do I remove it?  I don't necessary want to wipe the back with a cleaner and have it sitting on the fender and get on the fender.  Maybe just dish soap and let it dry for a good while.  I really want to keep using these but man those dimples are frustrating.  What do you guys think? 

Dave

Shane Kelley

I think a good wash with warm soapy water and a really good drying period will probably fix the issue. I personally use towels sandwiching a big thick piece of corrugated cardboard to help prevent elbow dents.  :alan2cents:

CudaMoparRay

The tag that comes with mine warns not to leave on painted surfaces for long periods of time whatever that signifies exactly how much time ?

HP_Cuda

Interesting, I'd love to see some pics of the dimples cause I haven't had any issues at all.

Maybe it's the material to keep it from non-slip.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Daveh

I know I've read posts that you shouldn't leave them on for days at a time.  But as I said in my original post the longest time I've had them on is an hour.  I guess I'll try to wash them with a little dish detergent and water. 

RUNCHARGER

I always put an old towel between the fender and the fender cover. It helps prevent scratches and small dents. Another thing I always do is remove my belt and take everything out of my front pockets when working on a car too. I'm paranoid but it only takes once...
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

I take off the wedding ring to work on mine now cause I don't want to risk it.

Yeah I put it in my pocket.  :notsure:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Claudia

For what it's worth . . . I have had the exact same type of fender covers sitting on both of my painted, front fenders and they have been in the exact same spots for well over two months and I had a small panic attack after reading this post.  However, I went out last night and removed both fender covers and the paint underneath is perfect.  No issues at all which makes me wonder what is going on with some of the fender covers?