Main Menu

Taking paint off of chrome...

Started by ViperMan, June 22, 2017, 05:12:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

Any tips for getting paint off of good-condition chrome?  I'm guessing I'll start with paint stripper, though I've also heard about using oven cleaner...

Bullitt-

both of those being acid I would be concerned with rust or etching the finish.
Do you have a heat gun?... most paint will give up with application of heat 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cuda Cody

Paint stripper will work good.  If the paint is single part rattle can, then carb cleaner will also remove it.   :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

I think too much but I am trying to figure what chrome has paint on it , Jeep not lilkely , Ashleys Chall , Naw , the Bike  :notsure: painting on the Viper , they hardly have any chrome  :thinking:

ViperMan

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 22, 2017, 12:01:31 PM
I think too much but I am trying to figure what chrome has paint on it , Jeep not lilkely , Ashleys Chall , Naw , the Bike  :notsure: painting on the Viper , they hardly have any chrome  :thinking:

Looking at a bike online that has some painted chrome that shouldn't be painted.  Was wondering.  :)

Cuda Cody

Probably not worth the time or effort.  Most of the time the chrome is scratched and scuffed to get the paint to stick.  Just depends on the quality of work they were going after.

jimynick

Be careful with oven cleaner. If memory serves, I believe there's even a warning on the can about chrome. Depending where it is and accessibility, I'd use (gently) a razor blade and if they haven't scuffed the inner surface as Cody says, you should be able to get a start if it's on steel. If it's on plastic or aluminum all bets are off.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Burdar

I'd try paint stripper and 0000 steel wool.  The steel wool won't hurt the chrome and will clean it at the same time.

RUNCHARGER

I use lacquer thinner and steel wool.
Sheldon