Main Menu

The 2 small plugs in the Trunk between the Shock plugs

Started by Topcat, May 24, 2017, 06:52:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

On a 71' Cuda, there are 2 smaller plugs on the top running in between the shock Orange plugs.

Years ago, I bought the body plug kit, but they didn't include those.

Does anyone have a lead where I can buy just those?  :help:

Cuda Cody

Are they kinda large and below the shock towers on the floor of the trunk?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 24, 2017, 06:58:03 PM
Are they kinda large and below the shock towers on the floor of the trunk?

No the are up above.... In 70 they used metal plates with a screw.... like shown in this picture..

Topcat

I can get a picture, but not till this week-end. Working.   :crying:

But if anyone knows what I'm talking about; that'll be great.

These plugs have been missing for years.

I bought the complete plug kit from Year One many years ago.

I know I didn't loose them from their kit. They just weren't included.
It's a unique size for  sure.

1 Wild R/T

My picture is from below, your looking at the shock crossmember, and my EFI fuel filter arrangement... No small screw hole next to the hole on your car?  If not 71 is different, no surprise....

Topcat

My car doesn't have any small screw holes next to the hole so it had to have plugs.

1 Wild R/T

I'm guessing you have a set of calipers? get an accurate measurement......

Cuda Cody

A photo I took of an original date coded Hemi Cuda rear defrost, but you can see the plug in the photo.  Is that the one you need?

Cuda Cody

Great... now I see there's 2 plugs in that photo...  :Thud:  You're talking about the one on top of the shock tower, right?

Topcat

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 24, 2017, 08:09:35 PM
A photo I took of an original date coded Hemi Cuda rear defrost, but you can see the plug in the photo.  Is that the one you need?

Pretty sure that's them.  :bigthumb:

1 Wild R/T

The small plug is a standard 1" plug, if you remove it you get access to the interior of the frame rail.....  The metal & red rubber plug is how you access the shock nuts on a 70.... 71 doesn't have a hole there, instead it's down on the sloped are & it uses a red rubber plug.....

Your initial post stated
"On a 71' Cuda, there are 2 smaller plugs on the top running in between the shock Orange plugs." 
Which sounds like the plugs you need are in the middle of the shocks not outboard of the shocks which is where the plugs into the frame rail are.....

71GranCoupe

Can't help any on this one at all. My 71 GC was an early build and rolled off the line with a left over 70 trunk pan.  :looney:

Topcat

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 24, 2017, 08:57:58 PM
The small plug is a standard 1" plug, if you remove it you get access to the interior of the frame rail.....  The metal & red rubber plug is how you access the shock nuts on a 70.... 71 doesn't have a hole there, instead it's down on the sloped are & it uses a red rubber plug.....

Your initial post stated
"On a 71' Cuda, there are 2 smaller plugs on the top running in between the shock Orange plugs." 
Which sounds like the plugs you need are in the middle of the shocks not outboard of the shocks which is where the plugs into the frame rail are.....

I don't have the car with me now. I think they're outboard of the shock plugs.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Topcat on May 24, 2017, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 24, 2017, 08:57:58 PM

Your initial post stated

I don't have the car with me now. I think they're outboard of the shock plugs.

On a 70 those plugs are the heavy rubber 1" plugs...  They can be tough to install... Sometimes a like simple green & push in the center of the plug with a 3/8" extension....

Cuda Cody

Yup,  :yes:  They can be a bit hard to get installed.  Any lubricant will help a lot.  I use a rubber conditioner that helps them push in and maybe even helps them last a little longer.

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 24, 2017, 09:52:38 PM

On a 70 those plugs are the heavy rubber 1" plugs...  They can be tough to install... Sometimes a like simple green & push in the center of the plug with a 3/8" extension....