Main Menu

Under hood insulation

Started by Rdchallenger, May 05, 2021, 10:40:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rdchallenger

Do you prefer it instead of seeing the hood braces?

tparker

My hood is bare and has been since I got the car in 1990. Not sure I would want to add it. I think I prefer it without.

headejm

Most (if not all) factory undercoat cars came with the under hood insulation pad. I prefer it because my car came from the factory with it.  Problem is no one that I know of is making an accurate reproduction for the insulation pad. I had to replace mine recently and I'm not too happy with what I had to buy.

70vert

:iagree:
I bought one, and of course the retaining clips since they are not included, and it did not fit well and looked like crap. Took it back off and I think still have it folded up in the package ):

headejm

The one I bought was much thicker than the original and not as soft. Factory clips did not work with it and I had to buy Ford 1" long insulation clips.  :bricks:

anlauto

The performed ones look nice, not sure I like the "folded up kind"

picture taken at MCACN ...only one showing the pad I could find..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

......better.... :rubeyes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GoodysGotaCuda

I use it on my car for noise insulation. I want quiet cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: headejm on May 05, 2021, 11:45:29 AM
Most (if not all) factory undercoat cars came with the under hood insulation pad. I prefer it because my car came from the factory with it.  Problem is no one that I know of is making an accurate reproduction for the insulation pad. I had to replace mine recently and I'm not too happy with what I had to buy.

There's one company that makes the best one. It's not DMT. I'd have to look in my records.

69BFan

There is two different companies that makes the molded factory style hood pads.  That would be Repops and REM.  We have been selling the REM pads for a number of years.  Most vendors had rather sell the generic fiberglass pads that can be rolled up and stuffed inside a plastic bag.  The molded pads are quite fragile and I hate to ship them due to that and that they require such a a large box.  But if your car was factory optioned with the noise reduction package of full undercoating and hood pad, then they are actually a decent restoration piece.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

headejm

Quote from: headejm on May 05, 2021, 11:56:31 AM
The one I bought was much thicker than the original and not as soft. Factory clips did not work with it and I had to buy Ford 1" long insulation clips.  :bricks:

Mine is the REM version. It's installed but I would change it out if someone were to offer a more original style pad.  Yes, fragile is the proper description.

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: headejm on May 05, 2021, 10:42:50 PM
Quote from: headejm on May 05, 2021, 11:56:31 AM

Mine is the REM version. It's installed but I would change it out if someone were to offer a more original style pad.  Yes, fragile is the proper description.

I'd be in on this. I'm surprised that ECS doesn't make them.

Burdar

The factory used both the molded and generic NON molded hood pads.  I think they had two venders for it.  My 73 came with the generic NON molded hood insulation from the factory.  It might be a 72-74 thing as well.  When you ordered full undercoating, you got a hood pad.  You couldn't order it separately.  The full undercoating option was marketed as a "sound deadening"...not a rust proofing.

My original plastic clips worked fine for attaching the generic insulation.  It is pretty thick though and rubs on the air cleaner lid.  The lid is scratched but I can't do anything about that.