Main Menu

Undercoating front fenders.

Started by B5fourspeed, May 15, 2018, 10:36:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

B5fourspeed

If I undercoat my front fenders should I paint them body color after or just leave them black.Just curious of what members here have done regarding undercoating.Thanks

GoodysGotaCuda

My car is far from "correct" but I shot the inside of my wheel wells with upol black raptor liner.

Very durable and looks great in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GoodysGotaCuda

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

B5fourspeed

That looks really nice.Are you going to paint over the coating or leave it black?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: B5fourspeed on May 15, 2018, 11:02:45 AM
That looks really nice.Are you going to paint over the coating or leave it black?

I did not top coat it, it is a durable black finish as-is.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Burdar

The factory applied undercoating in the front fenders AFTER the cars were painted.  The undercoating was left natural. 

The undercoating was applied to the inside of the front fenders, front wheel wells, rear wheel wells and quarter panels on ALL E-bodies as rock/impact protection.(not as rust prevention) All E-bodies received it whether or not full underbody undercoating was ordered.

The undercoating on the inside of the quarter panels was sprayed before the quarters were even welded to the body.  That undercoating will be oversprayed with body color.  The rest of the undercoating is natural...unpainted.

B5fourspeed

RUNCHARGER

If you body paint in there it looks a bit goofy. Looking at the completed car you will notice the body colour wheel wells behind the tires. If you leave them blacked out the way the factory did then you don't notice the wheel wells. That's the way I see it anyway.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 15, 2018, 07:35:40 PM
If you body paint in there it looks a bit goofy. Looking at the completed car you will notice the body colour wheel wells behind the tires. If you leave them blacked out the way the factory did then you don't notice the wheel wells. That's the way I see it anyway.
X2

750-h2

Resto Rick sells OE style undercoating. Great stuff! :bigthumb:

B5fourspeed

I was talking about the undercoating of the front fenders.I would not spray body color over undercoating in the rear wheel wells.

moparcar

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 15, 2018, 10:55:57 AM
My car is far from "correct" but I shot the inside of my wheel wells with upol black raptor liner.

@GoodysGotaCuda  Did you spray the Raptor over epoxy primer or over paint? That's what I'll be doing also since it looks great and offers good protection from rocks, etc.
Wes

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: MoparCar on May 19, 2018, 05:43:34 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on May 15, 2018, 10:55:57 AM

@GoodysGotaCuda  Did you spray the Raptor over epoxy primer or over paint? That's what I'll be doing also since it looks great and offers good protection from rocks, etc.
Wes

Yes, I did that on the rear wheel wells. I just scuffed the EDP coating on the front and shot bedliner, no primer there.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

GY3R/T

Love the Urathane type protection !!!  And looks great !!! :bigthumb:  :veryexcited:
Until you Have to repair a panel and blend new.   :tired: 
That's my bi-polar comin out.    :andyangel:

hemicar1971

Looks very nice but this was done after Alpo and Paint at the factory, but even then not all E Bodies were undercoared in the inner wheel wells. My Challenger is not factory undercoated on the fenders and very little to none on the inner fender. Back in day an E Body could be ordered without undercoating.