Main Menu

Undercoating Questions

Started by Banana, April 05, 2023, 01:23:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

When I purchased my Challenger in 1984, car had undercoating and a hood insulation pad.

No build sheet

Fender tag does not have J55 code

Question: is it possible to have undercoating from factory if no J55 on fender tag?

Question: can you get a hood pad, but no undercoating from factory?

Thanks

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

SFEBODY

Sometimes, this was a dealer installed option depending on the area of the country the car was sold. Midwest and East for sure most got (Zebart) undercoating

headejm

Quote from: Banana on April 05, 2023, 01:23:25 AM

Question: is it possible to have undercoating from factory if no J55 on fender tag?

My broadcast sheet calls out J55 but it is not called out on my fender tag.

Banana

It was originally from a northern New Jersey dealership so I'm sure the dealership did undercoating on most of the new vehicles. Probably was a few bucks and well worth it. When I picked up the car it was in reasonable shape on the underside especially due to the undercoating. Mopars up in New England were destroyed by the winter salt.

Main point is I had the body restored 25 years ago and I had the shop do the undercoating because it had it when I bought it. Just assumed it was factory original. But years later I'm wondering if I should have the undercoating if it wasn't ordered from the factory.

Since getting undercoating off is nearly impossible without damaging the paint underneath, I'll stick with it for now since I'm in Michigan and the weather here is not kind to sheet metal.