Main Menu

Who has ceramic coated their car?

Started by blown motor, October 10, 2024, 08:56:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I was wondering if anyone has ceramic coated their car and do you think it's worth the cost? I'm considering doing one of mine.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

JH27N0B

I haven't but have been wondering about the virtues myself, and if it's worth the cost, so I'll be following this thread.
I had given thought to having it done to my convertible to get it looking great for MCACN next month.  A few people I know had some info on detailers and were going to get back to me with contact info and check on references, but didn't.  In my triage list of tasks, I didn't have the time or patience to chase after them when they didn't get back to me.
Actually where it really seems like it can be most beneficial is with cars that are out and about alot.  I hear people raving about how their ceramic coated cars are so easy to clean, how rain just bounces off the car instantly when caught in a storm etc.  For vintage cars that mostly stay in the garage and come out on nice days for a few hours to go to a show or pleasure drive, they tend to stay pretty nice looking with just an occasional dusting or touch up with detailer, so is it really needed to spend so much money on that process for them?  I have owned my convertible for 27 years and probably have only really washed it with a hose a couple times total in that time! For my new Scat Pack, on the other hand, that I don't have room in my garage for, ceramic coating might be a very prudent investment as it gets rained on, dust on it, and some sap from nearby trees constantly.
This video of how the process works is very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-eIyPceGss

headejm

I have ceramic coated my truck and I can give a big thumbs-up to the results. It is an easy DIY project but it takes maybe 3 hours to do it right.

1. Wash and dry the vehicle
2. Clay bar the entire vehicle
3. Apply ceramic coating
4. Allow to dry/cure following the instructions on the bottle

A good applied ceramic coating will last at least one year. You'll be surprised how well water beads on the surface for the entire year. I wouldn't ceramic coat a vehicle that wasn't clay barred first.

After the ceramic coating has been on awhile, use a ceramic detailing spray to keep nit looking good.

tman

Ceramic coating is so nice.  I did our 2 cars on my own.....it is not that hard.  Take some work if you want to do it right.  It all depends on the condition of your paint on how much work it will be.  There are many Youtube videos on how to do it.  Pan the Organizer or DIY Detail channel is very good.  The coatings nowadays is getting much easier to apply. 

Racer57

I had my 2022 Mach 1 Mustang done. Cost $1,200 Not sure how many coats they applied, but I know it was several and had to sit overnight to "cure".   I'll use garden hose and dirt, dust, bugs etc comes off. you would be surprised how much of the water itself slides off while just sitting there. I'm planning on having my Cuda done next year.

Gross Polluter

I had my Scat Pack done.  It was a high end job and it looks great.  I did it mostly because it's black and I wanted the protection so it wouldn't get the spider webbing from washing.  So far I think it's working, but I will never buy another black car! 
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack