Main Menu

Plastic Coated Wiring Harness Clamps

Started by Gary AAR, February 26, 2020, 10:35:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Working on restoring my 1970 AAR Cuda.  I've come across several metal clamps used to route wiring harnesses or hoses.  The clamps are steel, but have a rubberized coating to prevent abrasion.  There are also several of the clamps that are spot welded to the dash frame that also have the rubberized coating.  I'm planning to media blast the dash frame and other separate clamps to prep for refinishing, which will remove the rubberized coating.  My question is what product have others used to replace the rubberized coating after repainting the dash frame and other separate clamps?  I have read a little on "Plasti Dip" as an option.  Has anyone used Plasti Dip?  Will it adhere to a painted surface?  They have Plasti Dip in a thick liquid for dipping parts, or in a spray can.  Would either one work?  Will the spray can version provide a thick enough coating?  Can you brush on the thick liquid to a clamp that would be difficult to dip (I'm thinking of the ones that are part of the dash frame)?  Is there another product out there that would be better for this application?
Thanks for the help!

anlauto

The "Plastic-Dip" spray is useless, and the brush on stuff usually is too thin and takes several coats....

This is kind of "out of the box" thinking, I found it in the hardware store..... :twothumbsup:

I use this stuff with excellent results:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

I use the Plasti Dip in the can for tools and parts like you are using and it works great but it does take a couple of coats. 

Floyd

No recommendations on the coating, but I recently had my dash frame media blasted.  I taped off all the rubber coated clips with duct tape before hand and everything came out nice. 

screamindriver

Plasti-dip does take many coats to get it done which is a pain all it's own...The bigger problem is the dip's problem with any radiant heat...It won't hold up to any amount of heat... The manufactured,coated repop parts appear to have something much harder than any rubberized dip coating I've come across... :alan2cents: