Main Menu

Windshield trim issue

Started by Challenger in NC, October 28, 2018, 12:26:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Good idea to check the back window too.  Before making any changes be sure to get your trim in place.  It might looks like a big gap on the back window (and it does look big) but maybe the trim will cover it?

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 28, 2018, 05:12:14 PM
Good idea to check the back window too.  Before making any changes be sure to get your trim in place.  It might looks like a big gap on the back window (and it does look big) but maybe the trim will cover it?

I'm not worried about the trim covering the gap, I'm more worried about there not being enough "ledge" for the butyl tape to sit on . Might have to use urethane ???? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

I'm afraid to check the rear trim. But before I get to that point, it looks like the channel bearing surface for the glass is barely adequate. My original glass is probably a 1/4" taller than this new piece but wonder what the rear window opening height should be? I even made a template of the original opening which AMD fab shop sent back with the car, and it fit like the original. The glass also looks low so it will probably need a thicker butyl strip, if that will even work.

anlauto

Quote from: Challenger in NC on October 28, 2018, 04:40:34 PM

AMD in Ga did all the work. Ill probably send over the photos to the local guy who's doing the paint and see what he thinks. Ughhh!

@Car-nutt have you checked any of this stuff on your car (also done at the AMD center in GA.)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Challenger in NC

Quote from: anlauto on October 28, 2018, 05:19:29 PM

I'm not worried about the trim covering the gap, I'm more worried about there not being enough "ledge" for the butyl tape to sit on . Might have to use urethane ???? :dunno:

I hate surprises like this

Cuda Cody

Don't worry about it to much.  It's not a big deal.  It can be fixed pretty easy... just be glad you are smart enough to check things like this first.  Some people don't find those gap issues until after it's painted!   :o

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 28, 2018, 05:36:05 PM
Don't worry about it to much.  It's not a big deal.  It can be fixed pretty easy... just be glad you are smart enough to check things like this first.  Some people don't find those gap issues until after it's painted!   :o

I hope so. That's the nice thing about this forum, you can learn a lot from others who have gone through stuff like this.

Car-nutt

Hello everyone, my car is getting painted today!! The body shop had pre-fitted all the front, rear windshield moldings and side drip rail moldings to ensure a proper fit. I had all my metal work completed at the AMD installation center. The only issue I had were the doors were re-skinned and both some waives in them, the body shop straightened that out for me. 

RUNCHARGER

That's good news! Ha, ha, I ordered some 71 Camaro door skins in for a guy, they came in last week and they were like $100CDN each. One of them had two small marks in them that could have been filled with one coat of high solids, the guy was bioching like hell. Mopar guys are a step above I'll tell you that.
Sheldon