Main Menu

Windshield wipers do not return to docked position

Started by Scooter, May 31, 2020, 11:17:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Prior owner had a set of aftermarket blades on. Bought a correct set from Roseville and now the wiper arms get hung up on the chrome window trim when turned off.  If I lift the arm up a hair it returns to the proper position.
Is there an adjustment on the mechanism itself or do I need to get the chrome trim closer to the glass?

:dunno:

JS29

Scooter

Quote from: JS29 on May 31, 2020, 05:46:54 PM
Adjust the trim.  :alan2cents:

Hmm.. looks like I need that leading edge to lay down flatter. Does not look like there is much in the way of adjustment, I'll loosen the hardware and see if I can get it to relax. There is scoring on the chrome where that driver side wiper mechanism drags, is that typical?

JS29

I tweak mine with stirring sticks and duck bill pliers.  :alan2cents:   

dodj

Quote from: Scooter on June 01, 2020, 02:40:40 PM
Hmm.. looks like I need that leading edge to lay down flatter. Does not look like there is much in the way of adjustment, I'll loosen the hardware and see if I can get it to relax. There is scoring on the chrome where that driver side wiper mechanism drags, is that typical?
I have three pieces of that trim, all are scored there.
I had success with a little bit of double back waterproof tape to keep the trim tight to the glass.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Scooter

Quote from: dodj on June 06, 2020, 06:14:37 AM
Quote from: Scooter on June 01, 2020, 02:40:40 PM
I have three pieces of that trim, all are scored there.
I had success with a little bit of double back waterproof tape to keep the trim tight to the glass.

Thnaks for the reply!. If I cannot get it to lay down properly I might look into flattening that chrome where it gets stuck and make a small "ramp". Cut the chrome on wither side and flatten it to the glass. Hoping I will not need to but it seems like a fairly simple solution that would hardly be noticed.

Ns1aar

Check the wiper arms to see if the pivot holes are worn that will cause them to sag and hit the trim

Scooter

Quote from: Ns1aar on September 30, 2020, 07:41:07 PM
Check the wiper arms to see if the pivot holes are worn that will cause them to sag and hit the trim

I'll have a look at that as well. I was able to get the blade to move further down(not all the way home yet) by adjusting the chrome trim.

Claudia

First two pictures show how bad the gap was between the glass and the trim piece.  Third picture is after hours of massaging (you can also see where the DS wiper arm was hitting the trim before the massaging of the trim to get it to lay flat.  It's a real pain but can be done.

Scooter

^^^ Thanks for the b4 and after photos. Did you remove the chrome trim to massage or just loosen the hardware and tweak it in place?

Claudia

I installed the trim completely, marked the areas that needed massaged and what ways they needed to move, then removed the trim from the car and worked it out on a table.  Re-install and repeat until it was sitting like it needed to.  I started with a new aftermarket trim piece and it took several hours from start to finish.

Cratos

:Mine just quit going into dock when you turn them off, any ideas WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS?

Ns1aar

A bad ground on either the motor or switch. There is a switch inside the motor that may be open. Switch may be bad also. Go to mymopar.com and get the FSM it has tests you can do.