Main Menu

Chicagoland Mopar Connection car show, Downers Grove Illinois

Started by JH27N0B, March 28, 2023, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Linked Events

JH27N0B

You can see a smidgen of my convertible in the first picture.  :takepicture:
Yesterday was only the second time out  for it this season and the car behaved well for the 60 mile round trip to and from, which was nice.
My otherwise good day at the show was marred by some unfortunate events though.
Not too long after I got there, I headed to the swap meet and soon spotted a friend who was vending his extra parts. I sat down while he talked to some people and sold a thing or two.
Then he says he hasn't been able to see the show, could I watch his spot for a little bit while he takes a quick run over to see the cars?
I say sure, but don't be gone long, I haven't seen the cars either! And my car is there I'd like to sit by it some and chat with people.
So off he goes, and disappears for probably over 1-1/2 hours leaving me stuck at his swap space!  :pullinghair:
Not long after he left, a guy comes by interested in some steering wheels.  None of my friends parts are marked so the guy says he'll come back.
He comes back 20 minutes later, I tell him I'll call my buddy.
So I act as a go between on the phone going back and forth with him and my friend making a deal on a $50 cracked wheel.  Then he asks about some steering wheel center pads with me relaying it to my friend.
Then he asks about a nice steering wheel on the table, where 2 are displayed.  My friend said $350. A deal is made. The guy finds he is cash short, and gives me $300 and says he needs to run home and get the rest to give me.  I say it won't be me when you return, it will be my buddy! We put the parts in my friends SUV.
Half hour or so go by the guy returns and gives me the rest of the money.  I laugh thinking I'm going to insist on a commission for selling all my friends junk since he fooled me into running his stand for half the prime showtime!
Finally my friend shows back up. He looks at the table and says where is the steering wheel, the $350 one is still there? The one I sold the guy, some B body wheel, he was asking $800 for!  :Thud:
Well he's really pissed off and sends me off to ask the DJ to make an announcement would the guy who bought some steering wheels in the swap please go see the seller, which he did. He wants to give the guy the money back for the wheel due to the misunderstanding. I figure for sure the guys long gone.
Later I'm chatting with kdcarman and his wife and my friend walks by, he talks to Ken about his cuda for a minute, then I say I don't suppose that guy came to see you?
Yes actually he did and says they got in a big shouting match.  I didn't ask him to elaborate but it didn't sound like things got fixed.  :(
No good deed goes unpunished! I missed a lot of the show and took lots less pictures than I usually would, and I'm sure missed out visiting with some people by my car.
Hopefully I didn't lose a long time Mopar friend. I'm mad about him abandoning me at his space for so long, but on that issue "I'll get over it".
So if you were the buyer, what would you have done knowing the facts here? Sure we all want a deal, but this was an honest mistake. On the other hand, the show wasn't big, I doubt it would have taken more than 5 minutes to walk from the furthest corner of the show car area to his space, so having me call with a buyer, there wasn't much excuse for him not to have hustled over to deal in person, so there is that.
Still the buyer was a jerk in my mind.  Both me and my friend have had personal and family health issues in recent times and certainly neither of us needed someone's greed knocking us down again.  I've been feeling pretty blue and upset about this yesterday into today.
What would you have done?

kdcarman

Quote from: JH27N0B on June 05, 2023, 05:19:07 PM
You can see a smidgen of my convertible in the first picture.  :takepicture:
Yesterday was only the second time out  for it this season and the car behaved well for the 60 mile round trip to and from, which was nice.
My otherwise good day at the show was marred by some unfortunate events though.
Not too long after I got there, I headed to the swap meet and soon spotted a friend who was vending his extra parts. I sat down while he talked to some people and sold a thing or two.
Then he says he hasn't been able to see the show, could I watch his spot for a little bit while he takes a quick run over to see the cars?
I say sure, but don't be gone long, I haven't seen the cars either! And my car is there I'd like to sit by it some and chat with people.
So off he goes, and disappears for probably over 1-1/2 hours leaving me stuck at his swap space!  :pullinghair:
Not long after he left, a guy comes by interested in some steering wheels.  None of my friends parts are marked so the guy says he'll come back.
He comes back 20 minutes later, I tell him I'll call my buddy.
So I act as a go between on the phone going back and forth with him and my friend making a deal on a $50 cracked wheel.  Then he asks about some steering wheel center pads with me relaying it to my friend.
Then he asks about a nice steering wheel on the table, where 2 are displayed.  My friend said $350. A deal is made. The guy finds he is cash short, and gives me $300 and says he needs to run home and get the rest to give me.  I say it won't be me when you return, it will be my buddy! We put the parts in my friends SUV.
Half hour or so go by the guy returns and gives me the rest of the money.  I laugh thinking I'm going to insist on a commission for selling all my friends junk since he fooled me into running his stand for half the prime showtime!
Finally my friend shows back up. He looks at the table and says where is the steering wheel, the $350 one is still there? The one I sold the guy, some B body wheel, he was asking $800 for!  :Thud:
Well he's really pissed off and sends me off to ask the DJ to make an announcement would the guy who bought some steering wheels in the swap please go see the seller, which he did. He wants to give the guy the money back for the wheel due to the misunderstanding. I figure for sure the guys long gone.
Later I'm chatting with kdcarman and his wife and my friend walks by, he talks to Ken about his cuda for a minute, then I say I don't suppose that guy came to see you?
Yes actually he did and says they got in a big shouting match.  I didn't ask him to elaborate but it didn't sound like things got fixed.  :(
No good deed goes unpunished! I missed a lot of the show and took lots less pictures than I usually would, and I'm sure missed out visiting with some people by my car.
Hopefully I didn't lose a long time Mopar friend. I'm mad about him abandoning me at his space for so long, but on that issue "I'll get over it".
So if you were the buyer, what would you have done knowing the facts here? Sure we all want a deal, but this was an honest mistake. On the other hand, the show wasn't big, I doubt it would have taken more than 5 minutes to walk from the furthest corner of the show car area to his space, so having me call with a buyer, there wasn't much excuse for him not to have hustled over to deal in person, so there is that.
Still the buyer was a jerk in my mind.  Both me and my friend have had personal and family health issues in recent times and certainly neither of us needed someone's greed knocking us down again.  I've been feeling pretty blue and upset about this yesterday into today.
What would you have done?

@JH27N0B 

Brad - Good to meet you in person.  Honest mistake, small community, the buyer should have returned the wheel and taken the refund.     

anlauto

Nah.....I think that's ALL on your buddy that stuck you on the vending spot....he should have never done that...and if you had him on the phone at the time of the sale, then tell him to come back to the spot to deal with the buyer at the time of the sale and that if he's not back in 5mins you're leaving anyways...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Lesson learned.  If I ever get asked to watch someone's vendor space again, I will tell them I will give them a specific time limit, like 30 minutes, and after that I am getting up and leaving.  And I will tell them if anyone wants to buy something, I will call you. And if you want the sale, you come make the deal and take the money as I am only keeping an eye on things to make sure no one runs off with anything, not running your swap business.
Regardless of where the blame lies, the experience still screwed up what otherwise would have been a great day.
It was good meeting you Ken, sorry we are from different areas of Chicagoland and we don't cross paths much. It would be nice to try to recruit some 6 pack/6 Barrel cars to park together at a show sometime to make an impression on the showgoers.  I could dig my V code out of storage, get 6 or 10 in a row at an area show would be cool!
The ancient Thinkpad I use nowadays only to work on my Flickr albums is really getting cantankerous on me so I don't know when or if I'll get around to making an album of this show. I need to find a real cheap laptop to use for this task as I use iPads for most of my personal computer needs now, but can't upload or edit on Flickr with it. So here's some pictures to share.
Starting with mine and Kens cars.

JH27N0B

Some of the good turnout of E bodies

JH27N0B

Some Mopar randos

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kdcarman

Duodec

I kind of fell in love with the Chrysler Hurst edition that was there.

It was nice to see a white interior Challenger too (like mine)

And the one owner '71 318 Challenger that has now raised a question... my 2 bbl air cleaner is corporate blue, same as the engine.  The car at the show had a black air cleaner, but with the same label.  I'm NOT doing a concours resto, so I don't care a lot but I am curious...