Main Menu

1970 Challenger Convertible Auction

Started by MKA, June 17, 2022, 02:57:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MKA

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

the $94k is closer to a realistic value, maybe still low given the 426.
Just my preference, but I'm not a huge fan of the wing especially on a convertible.

anlauto

Another car with the wrong center caps...I mean, gees you're spending lots of money on those nice rims, why not get the right year caps at least :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70vert

it is the little things when you are going to top-dollar, and that is not little!!  :thumbdown:

MKA

Quote from: 70vert on June 17, 2022, 06:37:47 PM
it is the little things when you are going to top-dollar, and that is not little!!  :thumbdown:

They do look a little silly on a 70 but easy enough to buy a new set from Roseville.   They still sell original (?) 70 and 71 center caps and the price for a set with discount is 200 or something like that.

anlauto

Quote from: MKA on June 18, 2022, 07:48:26 AM
Quote from: 70vert on June 17, 2022, 06:37:47 PM

They do look a little silly on a 70 but easy enough to buy a new set from Roseville.   They still sell original (?) 70 and 71 center caps and the price for a set with discount is 200 or something like that.

Kinda my point...why on earth buy expensive rims with the wrong caps in the first place ? When the correct ones are readily available  :looney:

JH27N0B

There was a 70 hemi cuda listed on eBay recently as I recall that had the wrong year rally wheel centers also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155022843513?

I don't get it.  Maybe a GM focused shop did the work and didn't know any better.
This is a resto mod, that one was a restored expensive car so no excuse whatsoever for a mistake like that on the cuda.

70vert

Yep, that is easy to fix but makes me wonder what else is wrong simply because they don't know Mopar (or didn't bother to confirm accuracy).
If it was a "resto-mod" then basically anything is OK per owner's preference, but a "tribute" should be an accurate reproduction. Or nik the price  ;)

Jay Bee

A friend has a70 RR with the the dark center caps. I told him he needs the light argent centers. He said he bought those straight from the dealer and can show me the part numbers on the boxes. My guess is at some point they ran out of light ones and substituted dark ones. Just saying that anything's possible.

JH27N0B

That's absolutely true, I know firsthand.
My Challenger T/A had Cragars on it when I bought it in the late '70s.  In '81 I bought a set of 15x7 rally wheels with no center caps.  I went to the local Dodge dealer and ordered 4 new rally wheel center caps for my wheels.
They were dark gray. 
I thought my car now factory stock, but later got sales paperwork that showed it came with 15x7 steelies and had to track down a set of those.  :headbang:
Around 20 years ago my friend resto modded a 71 Challenger and he had light gray centers on the rally's so I traded him my dark grays. But I read in a forum several years later that the centers had a real rough texture like had sand in the paint, but later NOS ones had a smooth finish. Mine I bought in '81 were rough finish.
I bought my 71 V code in 2010, and it's dark gray centers were smooth finish. Why did I trade my friend my desirable rough finish ones for light gray ones I never used since my 70 wasn't a rally wheel car??  :headbang:
But I was at a little swap meet not long after, and found a set of rough finish dark gray centers for sale and was able to sell my smooth NOS takeoffs from my 71 for more than I ended up paying for the swap meet find!
Alls well that ends well but getting correct wheels for my cars has presented some complications over the years!  :looney:

MKA

:iagree:.  I bought the Roseville ones earlier this year.  I think they are listed as NOS.   They have the correct part number stamps and the paint is the correct color but the texture of the paint is different.  The ones that came with the car are driver quality and sometimes in photos look like the darker 71 version depending on lighting and angle.   Good thing I only have to worry about all you eagle eyes.   :pokeeye: